Tough one please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt0202

Solid State Member
I have a client and his homepage keeps getting reset no problem just run ad-aware. Well I have ran Ad-aware and a trendmicro and removed everything they came up with. His homepage still resets. Let me tell you about it. His home page gets reset to something like res://vztlq.dll and so on. The important thing is the vztlq.dll that can be found in c:\windows on my clients computer. so I remove vztlq.dll in safemode and not in safemode. I also scaned the reg for everything that has vztlq.dll in it and delete it. click on ie it resets to vztlq.dll the file is back in c:windows and all the reg keys are back. It comes back without a restart. my search on the internet has came up short. Can really use the help thanks guys
Matt

I have not I will try that one. Ad-aware has never let me down I didnt think about using a different program. I will let you guys know. If anyone knows what it is and how to remove it I would love to hear it.

I allways run both S&D and Adaware because theres stuff that each other wont find. Also make sure you update them both before every scan.

Let us know how it goes so for as i know neither of those two will take this hijacker out but doesn't hurt to try

Lobos

I went out and deleted the dll again went through the reg and removed everything dealing with vztlq again. I also ran Spybot S&D and used the IE Host trick that Lobos has on his post. The only thing that came about was the host file blocked the website from loading. this one is causing a lot of problems. its to the point where the client just wants a new computer. Im starting to agree with him.

First, create a folder for HijackThis in the root folder of your hard drive so it can make proper backups

example

C:/HJT/hijackthis.exe
C:/hijackthis/hijackthis.exe

next

Click here to download Hijack This. Save it to the folder you have just created

Close all open windows and open HIJACK THIS. Click “Scan” . When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to“Save Log”. Click on“Save Log” and save it to NotePad. Copy the entire log and paste it here.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET , most items that appear in the log are harmless or even needed. Wait for someone to analyze the scan and advise.

this varient can't be fixed with just hijack this alone i need to see it to advise you which files to fix if there are any then we can run a tool designed just for this hijacker

Lobos

I had a similar problem to you. my home page would get reset everytime in IE. I ran spybot and adaware to no avail. I also had a dialog box come up whenever I opened my network places or my computer. It said something like windows cannot open this file, access is denied. it was some dll file that i knew was not supposed to be there. I said screw it and ran system restore to a week earlier and I have had no problems since then. so if your client has a recent system restore point try that. You could also reformat, that is always an option (but it is also time and labor consuming).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom