Help with Beta Build

Status
Not open for further replies.
go with a lower end cpu and a higher end gfx, get maybe a 5200+x2 or even a 4600+x2 cause itl be cheaper to upgrade when the pheoms will be out then it would be to have to upgrade 600$ for a new card, when you could get a cheaper cpu and spend that extra 100 bucks on a better gpu, then later on fork out 300 on a new cpu, its better that way tehn spending 500/600 on a beter card.

ZZF doesn't have shipping costs, its all free, thats why most people order cases from there

also, Crucial Ballistix aren't just his gut instinct... they are one of the most popular sets of ram among power users... people who actually know what they are doing buy them since they overclock better and can handle more stress and still churn out the best performance, not to mention they look sexy and can be called magicstix

If thats the case, then by all means I'll buy a case at least from ZZF... sounds good to me...

I'm not going to say I know what I'm doing just yet... but I'll consider the crucial ballistix when it comes down to it. Though, for more reasons then how they look and what they can be called haha...

Seems like my hardest decisions are going to be:

AMD vs Intel (even though AMD is almost the sure bet for me)
Choice of Ram
Choice of OS and what bit
Along with motherboard...

The motherboard is tough for me because from what I gathered it's performance vs. stability... again this is just what I hear... which is mostly all I have to go off of... Asus being more reliable/stable/solid... evga's performance being better...

ZZF doesn't have shipping costs, its all free, thats why most people order cases from there

also, Crucial Ballistix aren't just his gut instinct... they are one of the most popular sets of ram among power users... people who actually know what they are doing buy them since they overclock better and can handle more stress and still churn out the best performance, not to mention they look sexy and can be called magicstix

It's true. They're incredible. If you know what you're doing, you can make these things scream at nice timings.

I'm more easily ready to agree with you upon the Ultimate vs. Premium... it's just sort of a preference thing really. I'd have no problem going to premium... but if I had the budget at the end of the day I'd say screw it, let's go Ultimate... unless theres an Ultimate reason not to asides for price...

I appreciate your RAM suggestions but it's tough for me to decide either way without lack of first hand experience with any or and all of the above so to speak... though I've heard good things about them as well...

I am interested in overclocking, and I've been very back and forth with AMD/Intel all along... though for some reason my gut just says AMD... when it all comes down to it... it maybe the same kind of spark you have towards Crucial Ballistix! haha... I know Intel's doing well right now... and I'm sure overclocking with Intel maybe the better option... but unless it's just hands down... for exp, "WTF were you thinking choosing this? It's blatantly obvious you should get "this" because it's just this much better"... it's going to be tough for me hah...

I've kept up with hardware decently well for the last few years, and you'll have to understand from my perspective... and the lack of physical experience opposed to reviews, forum advice... etc

Though I do appreciate your help!

I hear ya on the Ultimate vs Premium part. I was just saying for $$ sake. I mean if you have the extra $$ and you want to do it, by all means go for it.

And about the memory, I understand first hand expereince means alot, and it's hard to just go by what people say. But ask any overclocker or power user, and they will most likely tell you to get Crucial Ballistix if you plan to overclock. Very high quality memory, they can handle alot of stress, higher voltages, and tight timings. They also stay surprisingly cool for how much voltage you can pump through them.
I was a huge OCZ Fan. I loved their memory, it was great stuff. But these Magicstix straight up own any other DDR2-800 memory.

And regarding the Intel Vs AMD thing. If you would of asked me over the past 4 years or so if you should get an Intel or AMD proc, I'd say AMD, hands down. But, I think you'd be surprised with some of the overclocks people have been getting. I have a Q6600 quad core. First, it's a quad core, so it's going to run hot. Second, it's B3 steppings, not the favorable newer G0. It came at 2.4ghz stock. Right now I'm running mine at 3.1ghz. That's a 700mhz increase on air cooling. I'm probably going to go to 3.2ghz tonight, which will then be a 800mhz increase in clock speed.

With the Core 2 duos, people are getting up to 1ghz increase just from overclocking. So yes, as far as overclocking is concerned, this is rather a "duh" choice. Haha. AMD makes good cpu's, theirs no doubting that. But as far as overclocking and price/performance is concerned, currently Intel is the way to go. Especially considering they're releasing their 45nm procs begining of '08.

I'm sure it's hard to take advice from some random guy online. But I've been around computers for years now and have some good experience overclocking, and I do know what I'm talking about.

Hope I was able to help you with your decision!

I'm not trying to be a pushy ******* or anything, or trying to strain you away from AMD. I'm just letting you know about how the current Intel line up is and how nice they overclock.

It's true. They're incredible. If you know what you're doing, you can make these things scream at nice timings.

I hear ya on the Ultimate vs Premium part. I was just saying for $$ sake. I mean if you have the extra $$ and you want to do it, by all means go for it.

And about the memory, I understand first hand expereince means alot, and it's hard to just go by what people say. But ask any overclocker or power user, and they will most likely tell you to get Crucial Ballistix if you plan to overclock. Very high quality memory, they can handle alot of stress, higher voltages, and tight timings. They also stay surprisingly cool for how much voltage you can pump through them.
I was a huge OCZ Fan. I loved their memory, it was great stuff. But these Magicstix straight up own any other DDR2-800 memory.

And regarding the Intel Vs AMD thing. If you would of asked me over the past 4 years or so if you should get an Intel or AMD proc, I'd say AMD, hands down. But, I think you'd be surprised with some of the overclocks people have been getting. I have a Q6600 quad core. First, it's a quad core, so it's going to run hot. Second, it's B3 steppings, not the favorable newer G0. It came at 2.4ghz stock. Right now I'm running mine at 3.1ghz. That's a 700mhz increase on air cooling. I'm probably going to go to 3.2ghz tonight, which will then be a 800mhz increase in clock speed.

With the Core 2 duos, people are getting up to 1ghz increase just from overclocking. So yes, as far as overclocking is concerned, this is rather a "duh" choice. Haha. AMD makes good cpu's, theirs no doubting that. But as far as overclocking and price/performance is concerned, currently Intel is the way to go. Especially considering they're releasing their 45nm procs begining of '08.

I'm sure it's hard to take advice from some random guy online. But I've been around computers for years now and have some good experience overclocking, and I do know what I'm talking about.

I'm not trying to be a pushy ******* or anything, or trying to strain you away from AMD. I'm just letting you know about how the current Intel line up is and how nice they overclock.

actually, price wise, the AMD proccesors are incredibly good compared to Intel if your planning on keeping stock clocks, you can find comparable CPU's for less on the AMD side

if you want to overclock... don't even consider AMD :p

this is true.. with the lower ends people are getting 60-80% and Sora got his e6300 to 3.6ghz!!! omg... nearly a double clock speed gain... (stock is 1.86ghz)

but thus far the star overclockers from each series are:

2 series: e2180
4 series: e4500
6 series: i'm gonna say e6750 here.. not entirely sure

and q6600 if you get the g0.. but Otis had a lucky b3 that got him past 3.0ghz...

with Overclocked Intel's people are easily pushing the 10k mark on 3dmark06

AnandTech: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX6850 and Massive Price Cuts

95825905lz6.jpg

E6750 is clear winner here

E6750 is also faster than 6400+ at stock speed (except in synthetic benchmarks like 3dmark and PC mark)
athlon 64 x2 6400+ review and benchmark

And all that at stock speeds. If you overclock E6750 then it would smoke 6000+

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

95825905lz6.jpg

E6750 is also faster than 6400+ at stock speed (except in synthetic benchmarks like 3dmark and PC mark)

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

yep... e6750 only lost once... and thats Cinebench anyways... which was always AMD's thing because of the Memory on the Controller or something...

95825905lz6.jpg

I'm actually looking into an Intel build as we speak... just to see both sides of the spectrum... and I now understand that AMD as of now stays stock... and Intel will overclock (more or less...)...

and I think I'll take the advice and switch to crucial ballistix as well...

now it's just the OS... so many people don't like vista... so it'll probably be hard to get any real support on that one haha... but just because, and for DX10 sake... especially if now I maybe looking at the 8800GTX... might as well eh?

which just leaves ultimate vs. premium... and 32bit vs 64bit...

Kind of opens up debate for an intel mother board as well

No don't take my responses the wrong way, I've rather enjoyed your comments and suggestions etc.... it's just me shaking off what I've felt was "solid" before hand haha... I get my mind set on something and become stubborn about it... really...

but with help, this is what I've changed, I stated in the above quote

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 Conroe 2.66GHz LGA 77 (prepare for the new quads)

Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit

EVGA 768-P2-N831-AR GeForce 8800GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported

Those are the big ones...

I've been suggested this mobo:

ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel

phew

I'm actually looking into an Intel build as we speak... just to see both sides of the spectrum... and I now understand that AMD as of now stays stock... and Intel will overclock (more or less...)...

and I think I'll take the advice and switch to crucial ballistix as well...

now it's just the OS... so many people don't like vista... so it'll probably be hard to get any real support on that one haha... but just because, and for DX10 sake... especially if now I maybe looking at the 8800GTX... might as well eh?

which just leaves ultimate vs. premium... and 32bit vs 64bit...

Kind of opens up debate for an intel mother board as well

Glad to hear you took our advice! If you wanted to, you culd let me know a budget on CPU/mobo and I could help. Actually for the mobo, get a P35 chipset. They're highly overclockable and support Intels upcoming 45nm in '08.

A mid to lower end C2D, that gigabyte mobo, Curcial Ballistix, and a nice heatsink would overclock amazingly.

The Gigabyte P35-DS3R. It's an AWESOME overclocking board.

The only reason I run Vista is for DX10. I dual boot Ubuntu 7.04 and just keep Vista for gaming.

Ultimate isn't going to do anything for you Premium can't. Go 32-bit. 64-bit is another year MAYBE. ATM, 64-bit is borderline usless. I don't even know of any Anti-virus software for it. And it's not like games can use 64-bit to their benefit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom