Help with Beta Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
After much debate, and careful planning, I just about have a hold on my final build... but this isn't final just yet:

Case: Thermaltake SHARK Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Motherboard: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2
GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU: CORSAIR ATX12V V2.2 550W
HeatSink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
ROM(s): 2x SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD
Monitor: LG L206WTY-BF Black 20" 2ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor W/ f-Engine and Tilt Adjustment
Keyboard: Logitech Black USB Standard Deluxe 250
Mouse: Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse

This is it, thus far...

My immediate questions are, with this build and the Arctic cooler freezer 64 pro will I need thermal paste? If I remembered right I was told no or that it came with some of the best already...

Secondly... as far as audio is concerned will I need be concerned with buying a dedicatd sound card?

but that's all I have for now, thanks for looking...

blucube

First off, nice build. Before I answer your questions I have a few questions-

1. Are you picking AMD for a certan reason?
2. Go with 2gigs of Crucial Ballistix. Trust me on this one.
3. Is their a particuler reason you want 64-bit and not 32-bit?
4. Is their a big reason why you want Ultimate as opposed to Home Premium?

Regaurding your questions-

-Thermal paste will most likely come with that heastink. As far as if that stuff that comes with it is better then other thermal paste, I don't know. And honestly, unless you're going to be overclocking, don't worry about it.

-You could get a dedicated sound card if you really wanted. I have an X-FI Extreme Music that I'm very pleased with. You might want one if you're picky with sound like me.

1. Are you picking AMD for a certan reason?
2. Go with 2gigs of Crucial Ballistix. Trust me on this one.
3. Is their a particuler reason you want 64-bit and not 32-bit?
4. Is their a big reason why you want Ultimate as opposed to Home Premium?

-Thermal paste will most likely come with that heastink. As far as if that stuff that comes with it is better then other thermal paste, I don't know. And honestly, unless you're going to be overclocking, don't worry about it.

1. AMD feels solid to me, always have liked them. Even though I am open minded and try not to get stuck with one thing or another. I just want my build to feel solid... to me.
2. Ram's a tough one for me, I've had a few different people suggest a few different things. I am unknowing, I'll admit. Though, a review with Patriot vs. XMS revealed that on paper the XMS, for example... cranked out better numbers... though, over all performance went to Patriot for some reason or another!
3. 64bit vs. 32bit... not really, just chose what was available. I think depending on the processor you can choose correct?
4. I was hoping someone would bring that up. Yes and No... I've heard that the security on ultimate is better than Premium. Again just being what I've read. It's definitely not for the Texas hold 'em I can assure you that! If it came better secured, and will remain that way... I'll go for it for the price differential, was my thinking...

As far as overclocking is concerned... I'd like to give it a shot, yeah!

Thanks!

After much debate, and careful planning, I just about have a hold on my final build... but this isn't final just yet:

Case: Thermaltake SHARK Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Motherboard: ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2
GPU: EVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s
PSU: CORSAIR ATX12V V2.2 550W
HeatSink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
ROM(s): 2x SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model
OS: Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD
Monitor: LG L206WTY-BF Black 20" 2ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor W/ f-Engine and Tilt Adjustment
Keyboard: Logitech Black USB Standard Deluxe 250
Mouse: Logitech MX518 2-Tone 8 Buttons 1 x Wheel USB + PS/2 Wired Optical Gaming-Grade Mouse

This is it, thus far...

My immediate questions are, with this build and the Arctic cooler freezer 64 pro will I need thermal paste? If I remembered right I was told no or that it came with some of the best already...

Secondly... as far as audio is concerned will I need be concerned with buying a dedicatd sound card?

but that's all I have for now, thanks for looking...

blucube

looks great.. but why the m2n32 sli deluxe tho? the evga 590 or the Foxconn 590 thing has the same features... except for the Wireless and crap... but you can always buy that as a PCI Add-on card...

looks great.. but why the m2n32 sli deluxe tho? the evga 590 or the Foxconn 590 thing has the same features... except for the Wireless and crap... but you can always buy that as a PCI Add-on card...

Honestly, I have not a lot of "good" justification behind it. A friend suggested ASUS, and I knew ASUS a bit better than foxconn... not saying that foxconn is unreliable or anything... though, I primarily was looking for the evga version for AMD on newegg, come to find out that it appeared to be sold out... Intel had it though haha...

Honestly, I have not a lot of "good" justification behind it. A friend suggested ASUS, and I knew ASUS a bit better than foxconn... not saying that foxconn is unreliable or anything... though, I primarily was looking for the evga version for AMD on newegg, come to find out that it appeared to be sold out... Intel had it though haha...

i meant ZZF (zipzoomfly) for the evga 590... which is my favorite AMD board ever!!

in fact the evga 590 and Foxconn 590 holds the 3dmark06 overclocking records for AMD's sides... check... in fact

1. AMD feels solid to me, always have liked them. Even though I am open minded and try not to get stuck with one thing or another. I just want my build to feel solid... to me.
2. Ram's a tough one for me, I've had a few different people suggest a few different things. I am unknowing, I'll admit. Though, a review with Patriot vs. XMS revealed that on paper the XMS, for example... cranked out better numbers... though, over all performance went to Patriot for some reason or another!
3. 64bit vs. 32bit... not really, just chose what was available. I think depending on the processor you can choose correct?
4. I was hoping someone would bring that up. Yes and No... I've heard that the security on ultimate is better than Premium. Again just being what I've read. It's definitely not for the Texas hold 'em I can assure you that! If it came better secured, and will remain that way... I'll go for it for the price differential, was my thinking...

As far as overclocking is concerned... I'd like to give it a shot, yeah!

Thanks!

1- Well if AMD feels solid for ya, then all the power to you! I was way into AMD awhile back. But the Core 2 duos and quads really got me interested in Intel. The last three rigs before this I had AMD procs. They're a great brand and everything, but as far as price/performance is concerned, currently Intel would be the way to go. But going with AMD is just fine if that's what you want!

2- May I suggest these- Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail .
I seriously live by this RAM. I can't tell you how happy you'd be with these things. Tight timings, highly overclockable, and very reliable. All around solid RAM, IMO, best memory you can buy. Definetly better then those Patriots you're looking at if you want to get into overclocking.

3- I'd suggest sticking with 32-bit. The driver support is better for 64-bit then it used to be, same with software. But their are still driver issues and lack of software for 64-bit unless you want to run a specific app for 64-bit. If not, stick with 32-bit, you'll be much more happy. And if you want 64-bit later, it's like $10 to order the 64-bit DVD from Microsoft.

4- Just stick with Windows Vista Home Premium. Theirs nothing that Ultimate really offers that a typical computer user would need to use. Premium is just as secure and fine. Aslong as you run a good anti-virus program, you should be just fine.

To add to all of that-

If you really do want to overclock, I would suggest you going Intel and getting those Crucial Ballistix. You'll get higher overclocks, it'll be more stable, and most likely run cooler. You would be extremely happy with the results you would get from that combination. Let me know what you decide to do and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

2- May I suggest these- Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail .
I seriously live by this RAM. I can't tell you how happy you'd be with these things. Tight timings, highly overclockable, and very reliable. All around solid RAM, IMO, best memory you can buy. Definetly better then those Patriots you're looking at if you want to get into overclocking.

3- I'd suggest sticking with 32-bit. The driver support is better for 64-bit then it used to be, same with software. But their are still driver issues and lack of software for 64-bit unless you want to run a specific app for 64-bit. If not, stick with 32-bit, you'll be much more happy. And if you want 64-bit later, it's like $10 to order the 64-bit DVD from Microsoft.

4- Just stick with Windows Vista Home Premium. Theirs nothing that Ultimate really offers that a typical computer user would need to use. Premium is just as secure and fine. Aslong as you run a good anti-virus program, you should be just fine.

To add to all of that-

If you really do want to overclock, I would suggest you going Intel and getting those Crucial Ballistix. You'll get higher overclocks, it'll be more stable, and most likely run cooler. You would be extremely happy with the results you would get from that combination. Let me know what you decide to do and feel free to ask if you have any more questions!

I'm more easily ready to agree with you upon the Ultimate vs. Premium... it's just sort of a preference thing really. I'd have no problem going to premium... but if I had the budget at the end of the day I'd say screw it, let's go Ultimate... unless theres an Ultimate reason not to asides for price...

I appreciate your RAM suggestions but it's tough for me to decide either way without lack of first hand experience with any or and all of the above so to speak... though I've heard good things about them as well...

I am interested in overclocking, and I've been very back and forth with AMD/Intel all along... though for some reason my gut just says AMD... when it all comes down to it... it maybe the same kind of spark you have towards Crucial Ballistix! haha... I know Intel's doing well right now... and I'm sure overclocking with Intel maybe the better option... but unless it's just hands down... for exp, "WTF were you thinking choosing this? It's blatantly obvious you should get "this" because it's just this much better"... it's going to be tough for me hah...

I've kept up with hardware decently well for the last few years, and you'll have to understand from my perspective... and the lack of physical experience opposed to reviews, forum advice... etc

Though I do appreciate your help!

i meant ZZF (zipzoomfly) for the evga 590... which is my favorite AMD board ever!!

in fact the evga 590 and Foxconn 590 holds the 3dmark06 overclocking records for AMD's sides... check... in fact

Heck, if they have it on ZZF... then I'd go for it, they probably have the thermaltake shark on there for cheaper anyway... though the shipping costs between sites may go up when it all comes down to it heh...

Heck, if they have it on ZZF... then I'd go for it, they probably have the thermaltake shark on there for cheaper anyway... though the shipping costs between sites may go up when it all comes down to it heh...

ZZF doesn't have shipping costs, its all free, thats why most people order cases from there

also, Crucial Ballistix aren't just his gut instinct... they are one of the most popular sets of ram among power users... people who actually know what they are doing buy them since they overclock better and can handle more stress and still churn out the best performance, not to mention they look sexy and can be called magicstix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom