SATA and Core 2 Duo Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

spinard

Solid State Member
I want to upgrade my primary HDD to a Western Digital Raptor X which is SATA AND I want to have a secondary data drive which will be the old IDE connection AND I want them to be able to flawlessly be able to "talk" to each other. Is this possible?

My next question is I currently have a P4 3.2GHz and I want to upgrade to a Core 2 Duo E6850 which is 3.0GHz. (which my motherboard supports) Will I see any significant increase in my processing speed? That chip has a 1333MHz FSB and my motherboard is only 1066MHz FSB. Will it work ok or should I look for a 1066MHz FSB speed chip?

Thanks!

Hey spinard
Welcome-to-TF.png

First off. Don't get the Raptors. It's not worth the money, for the speed increase, and the amount of space it offers. If you were thinking the Raptor 150GB, just get the WD 750GB. It's the same price range, and near to that of the Raptor's speeds.

Why get the E6850, when for a cheaper price, you can get the Q6600? If your motherboard supports a 1066MHz FSB, it won't support a 1333MHz CPU. Unless you have a 680i chipset motherboard. What motherboard is it, anyway?

And yes, it is possible for SATA and IDE to work together, in the same system.

I have a ASUS P5LD2 R2.0 motherboard that doesn't support quad core. Only core 2 duo extreme and lower socket 775. So a CPU with a higer FSB wouldn't even work with my board?

That is the HDD that I was looking at.

The newer C2Ds with the 1333FSB is not compatible, with your chipset. Only the older C2Ds, such as the E6420 or E6600.

I want to upgrade my primary HDD to a Western Digital Raptor X which is SATA AND I want to have a secondary data drive which will be the old IDE connection AND I want them to be able to flawlessly be able to "talk" to each other. Is this possible?

Thanks!

yes it is possible... my primary hd is sata and my slave is IDE... since my board supports sata...

Thanks for the help! One last question.... if I got the core 2 duo @ 2.4GHz would I essentially have a computer that runs at 2.4GHz speed unless specific programs used the 2 cores or would it always be running both cores?

Usually it would take up more of one core, and a little of the other, if the program isn't designed to take advantage of more than one core.

About the SATA & IDE yes you can have both HD but I personally warn you that the IDE may slowdown your PC a bit maybe you will not notice but it certainly will.

I used to run 2 40gb ide and 2 160gb sata drives and never had any issues with speed. I finally got around to clean installing windows on the sata and transferring everything off the old drives, but you computer will just see the drives as drives. Most motherboards treat sata as IDE anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom