Windows themes

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what Windows Blinds is, but I know a little about theming.

Many sites, such as ThemeXP.org are very dangerous. They install spyware, and claim you need StyleXP (or other software) in order to install themes, when it really is just bloatware and not needed at all.

Here is my work around:
1. Find, download, and run UXTheme Multi-Patcher. (mine says Neowin Edition on it). This will patch the theme dll so you can use themes that haven't been digitally signed by Micro$oft.
2. Go to ThemeXP.org and download their themes. *DO NOT DOWNLOAD EXE FILES* Many of the themes there are in self-extracting exe archives which also install ad/spyware. I've learned for this particular site that if you cancel the download half-way through enough times (5-10 times), it will eventually offer you a .zip file instead. The .zip file is safe and spyware free.
3. After you get the theme, you can extract it and place it in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes
4. Restart might be required, I don't remember, then you can just select the theme by right-clicking your desktop, and click Properties, then click the Appearance tab and your downloaded theme should be in the first drop-down box.

Good luck!

Edit: If you install a custom login screen, it involves replacing system files. *BE SURE TO BACKUP THE ORIGINAL FIRST* On more then one occasion I damaged Windows so that it wouldn't boot up at all. I had to use the recovery console on the install disc to replace the backup over my downloaded one. Be sure you know your DOS commands!

There are many themes out there, but none of them will give you the extras of Windows Blinds, such as transparent title bars, etc. If you want more than just a theme, you'll have to pay the money.

There are many themes out there, but none of them will give you the extras of Windows Blinds, such as transparent title bars, etc. If you want more than just a theme, you'll have to pay the money.
That is totally right. UXTheme patchers are good for themes that dont have any of the transparency or animation that some of the windowsblinds themes do. So if you want anything like that then you need windowsblinds.

But if not then you can check Neowin.net for themes and the patcher to run most other stylesheets and uxtheme files.

I don't know what Windows Blinds is, but I know a little about theming.

Many sites, such as ThemeXP.org are very dangerous. They install spyware, and claim you need StyleXP (or other software) in order to install themes, when it really is just bloatware and not needed at all.

Here is my work around:
1. Find, download, and run UXTheme Multi-Patcher. (mine says Neowin Edition on it). This will patch the theme dll so you can use themes that haven't been digitally signed by Micro$oft.
2. Go to ThemeXP.org and download their themes. *DO NOT DOWNLOAD EXE FILES* Many of the themes there are in self-extracting exe archives which also install ad/spyware. I've learned for this particular site that if you cancel the download half-way through enough times (5-10 times), it will eventually offer you a .zip file instead. The .zip file is safe and spyware free.
3. After you get the theme, you can extract it and place it in C:\WINDOWS\Resources\Themes
4. Restart might be required, I don't remember, then you can just select the theme by right-clicking your desktop, and click Properties, then click the Appearance tab and your downloaded theme should be in the first drop-down box.

Good luck!

Edit: If you install a custom login screen, it involves replacing system files. *BE SURE TO BACKUP THE ORIGINAL FIRST* On more then one occasion I damaged Windows so that it wouldn't boot up at all. I had to use the recovery console on the install disc to replace the backup over my downloaded one. Be sure you know your DOS commands!

how do you actually do that. I got to the console but I never knew what to do next. I ended up reinstalling windows

most of the good themes site charge you now. 3 years ago they were free.

I use to have million of them, but I accident wipe that hdd earlier this year. I'm thinking of going back over that drive with some recovery tool. I lost a lot of valuable stuff

how do you actually do that. I got to the console but I never knew what to do next. I ended up reinstalling windows

most of the good themes site charge you now. 3 years ago they were free.

I use to have million of them, but I accident wipe that hdd earlier this year. I'm thinking of going back over that drive with some recovery tool. I lost a lot of valuable stuff

After you get to the console, you basically just have a command prompt. It's just like the old DOS mode (I just recently learned WinXP didn't have DOS mode, the recovery console is supposed to replace that).

Browse to the directory with CD commands:
CD c:
CD Windows
CD System32

This should put you into C:\Windows\System32. Then you just replace the bad file with your backup by deleting the bad and renaming the backup:

DEL ntoskrnl.exe
RENAME ntoskrnl.exe.10-1-2007.backup ntoskrnl.exe

MS-DOS help and commands

Basic stuff really. Though I'm not as familiar with DOS commands as I am with linux shell commands (linux is so much better for command line).

ThemeXP.org has some good themes, awesome boot and login screens, and plenty of other goodies. Just don't download any self-extracting archives. If you follow my method of replacing things, then you don't need to use their "StyleXP" crap. That way you can keep a smooth running system. I hate background programs with a passion.

I really enjoy the "wow" reaction I get with others see or use my computer. Anything that sets me apart from the Micro$oft standard is good in my book.

After you get to the console, you basically just have a command prompt. It's just like the old DOS mode (I just recently learned WinXP didn't have DOS mode, the recovery console is supposed to replace that).

Browse to the directory with CD commands:
CD c:
CD Windows
CD System32

This should put you into C:\Windows\System32. Then you just replace the bad file with your backup by deleting the bad and renaming the backup:

DEL ntoskrnl.exe
RENAME ntoskrnl.exe.10-1-2007.backup ntoskrnl.exe

MS-DOS help and commands

Basic stuff really. Though I'm not as familiar with DOS commands as I am with linux shell commands (linux is so much better for command line).

ThemeXP.org has some good themes, awesome boot and login screens, and plenty of other goodies. Just don't download any self-extracting archives. If you follow my method of replacing things, then you don't need to use their "StyleXP" crap. That way you can keep a smooth running system. I hate background programs with a passion.

I really enjoy the "wow" reaction I get with others see or use my computer. Anything that sets me apart from the Micro$oft standard is good in my book.

thx for the info

Linux is better for the command line, but let's not forget that it's getting pretty good at the GUI, too. It's easy to customize and theme too.

I'm using Vista right now, so I'm not pushing Linux. I just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea that Linux is heavy on the command line and not so good at the GUI. Times are changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom