HDD issues I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

f_lightning2001

Baseband Member
I had some problems with my old HDD that came with my comp. So I purchased a new 160 WD. I reloaded XP on it and now it takes forever for my comp to boot up, and when it finally does sometimes it runs so slow. What could be my problem?

Everytime I try to open something up it takes it along time to open. When it boots up it stays on the black Windows XP screen for anywhere from 2 to 20 min.

try running chkdsk with windows repair.
when i was running raid 0 with 2 faulty drives i did this crap DAILY.

ugh

I'd be inclined to agree with commandercup. is it just purely running slower than your old system? RAM upgrade might help it as well, what are you running there? you might be able to pop open your case and find it's speed, but probably not. do you know what it's rpm's were rated at? that might be it alone. gl!

I had that very same issue on my PC when I built it.If you are running your HD and CD or DVD Rom on a single IDE check your jumper settings,mine were wrong and PC was super slow on boot up and when I tried using anything on the PC everything was slow.I have my DVD Rom on Master and my HD on Slave and that woke it up.

How old is your comp? what are the specs? What are some of the problems you had with your old HDD? Is this SATA or IDE?

With this info it will be easer to find out what the prob is.

It is a two year old EMachines and it came with 512mb ram. I added a 256mb to it awhile back. The HD didn't say what the rpm was. It's an IDE and my hd and dvd are on two different cables. However both are set to cable select.
My mbr was corrupt on the old hd. So I just got a bigger one.

try to switch the drive to master, i hate cable select always had probs with it. run chkdisk on the drive to see if there are any bad sectors (that can cause this). You can even try to run a live linux cd if you have one just to rule out other system components, most likely its the HDD.

You can also try to just boot up bare bones, unplug your floppy, cd-rom drives and anything elz you don't really need and see if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom