Brand New PC Boots but nothing happens

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few times a video card will be the problem without sounding a long and two short beeps. If the rest of the system besides the cpu fan like case fans, hard drives, and even Windows seems to be loading while there's still nothing being displayed a good look at the card would be needed then.

maybe you shorted the board. I'd take everything out of the case....and start from scratch. good luck.

From the sound of it, the front panel connections on the board are probably on wrong. I have done this a few times int he past with boards that have very sketchy, hard to decipher pin set ups. I would start from scratch and pull and replug everything to make sure that you got all the plugs right.

You can try replugging the power, reset, and led plugs for hard drive and power but the fact that fans were seen spinning and some sigms were seen of the system starting to post suggests otherwise. One fast way to see if that's the problem would be to remove those and jump the two pins for the power button to see what happens then. Go lightly with a small paper clip or tip of a screwdriver to cest that idea.

thanks for all the input, i decided to bring the motherboard back to the store i bought it from (MSY) and they are providing me with a replacement motherboard. Which happened to be a shorted out.:)

Were you seeing a short to ground in the case? That's another thing that was unfortunately overlooked that may have happened unless there was a defect on the board found. Let's hope you see better results with the replacement anyways.

Whenever your mobo doesnt post, its likely caused by the memory, video card, cpu, psu or the mobo itself but highly unlikely. Try reseating the memory, cpu, and video card. One at a time. Not reseat it all at one time then turn the computer on.

Reseat the memory first, then turn the pc back on, if same thing happens, reseat the video card and turn it back on. Then do the same for the cpu. Check your connections.

If none works, then it could be ur psu or mobo. chances are ur psu is not giving any power to the cpu.

The green light on the board and vpu fan still running show that power was there to start with. The new build here saw the same thing were the fans powered by the board and not directly by the supply went idle after only a few seconds. The cause? Bad caps or the bios chip.

The reason the bios chip was suspected there was that the auto setting for dram timings would still see DDR2 800 on the post screen while the replacement has to be set to 800 manually along with the 4-4-4-14 timings there.

On the previous build when upgrading the supply the new one had a loose contact in 12v cpu molex connector where nothing was seen until simply unplugging that and replugging in finger lightly until the retaining clip clicked. That then saw immediate results.

Besides the cpu alone the initial draw on a supply when first starting a system up is usually the heaviest seen there besides ocing the works out of everything. A failed startup would then point at a bad cap. But bad caps on boards are far more common then most realize if nothing is left unlplugged or simply plugged in wrong.

Bad caps are also VERY obvious on a board. They look like a canned food full of bochilism. After working on dell machines for over 3 years i can spot a bad cap from a mile away. But i was under the impression that nothing made in the last 2 or so years had any of the old bad caps.

There's world full of surprises since you won't always see any discoloration or scorching on the board from a cap that goes bad or a failed bios maybe chipset. On the new build here when the first board went nothing could be found under close inspection. A bulged or leaking cap or some type of odd mark would be spotted fast. Sure enough the new board works fine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom