Build looking like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think eventually you're gonna want Vista, as it has the DX10 support and it's the future...even though it has a few quirks right now, it could just be a waste to get XP

??
Newegg.com - PNY VCG7900SXPB GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
though i do notice that the EVGA's are out of stock (one was priced at 150.00, but they have one thats like 230.00 lol yeah right!)
this one's only 120 bucks. xfx and foxconn have a couple more that are really pricey.
and for all you guys/girls/w.ever out there....
if you have a 7900gs and it is starting to slow down on new games...
120 bucks will help A LOT.

That must have just came back in stock becuase last time I looked there were no more PCi-E 7900GS's....the XFX and Foxconn are AGP I believe.

At 120 bucks that is a great deal...

I think eventually you're gonna want Vista, as it has the DX10 support and it's the future...even though it has a few quirks right now, it could just be a waste to get XP

I heard that DX10 wasn't going to be big for a few more years. If thats the case, I build a new computer ever 3 years or so and would rather wait for Vista to work the bugs out first instead of me having to deal with it in the meantime.

DX10 Gaming on Non-Vista PCs?
Could this even be possible? Well, that's what Cody Brocious' ALKY PROJECT would have us believe. According to Cody, who's a “19 year old software reverse-engineer” in San Diego, California, it could soon be possible to play all your DirectX 10 games without necessarily having to upgrade to Microsoft's shiny new OS, Windows Vista.

Considering how the DirectX 10 API is exclusive to the new OS, Microsoft has explicitly said that if you want to play a DX10 game in all it's graphic richness, you'd need to get yourself a nice big DX10 card and then fork over the dough to get yourself onto the Vista bandwagon. Unfortunately, Vista isn't all that it was touted to be. Even though there are lots of newsitems flying around the web about how Microsoft is retiring Windows XP sometime late next year, a lot of us haven't really seen the benefits of jumping from a stable gaming platform to one that is yet to prove itself indispensable, especially considering how the 64-bit version of the OS causes more problems than it fixes, which sucks especially if you've forked over hard earned money for a spanking new quad-core 64-bit QX6700/8800 GTX SLi/Windows Vista Ultimate x64 rig to take advantage of the OS' 64-bit/multiprocessing improvements.

If what Cody and his team claim are true and they really can do all that they claim, then it would mean we would at least have a small degree of backward compatibility with previous OSes, and while non-Vista users certainly wouldn't enjoy all the gorgeous eyecandy on their “derelict” systems, they'd at least be able to at least play the game at medium-high settings, instead of watching a “Your Operating System version is incompatible with this game” message. While Cody's already showing off a preview on his blog about how the reverse-engineered APIs are used to play the Microsoft DX10 tech-demos on a Windows XP SP2 PC, we wonder how long it is before Microsoft shuts him down completely, since they've probably got a thousand lines of legal mumbo-jumbo preventing just this kind of stuff. One thing's for sure, this would never see the light of day on a commercial basis - the Redmond Goliath will see to that.

Thanks. Ill go with the PRO. And...I'm not a non overclocker :p I have never overclocked before so I just figure I probally wont. I dont want to mess anything up :p And If I decide to give overclocking a try, I would be ok OCing the X1950 right?

You can't mess anything up while overclocking. Unless you're dumb enough to increase the CPU voltage, past 1.6 or so. And I'm sure, you aren't.

Overclocking is very safe. Probably 80% of us, overclock in this forum.

I will check out the OC forum sticky and maybe I will give it a shot. I know you guys are here for me if I need ya so Im not too worried I guess : )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom