IDE connectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

troubl3dmind

Baseband Member
I'm buying a new computer.... everything but the hard drive. It's been worrying me that my hard drive won't be compatible. My hard drive is an IDE connector, and my motherboard supports IDE. Are there different types of IDE connectors? Will my old hard drive be supported on a new motherboard? The answer might be obvious to you but it has been worrying me. I don't want to get everything set up and find out my hard drive isn't going to work with it. Could someone help me out? Thanks in advance :)

It's still very much necessary. Some companies just can't afford replacing all their computers, so the computer industry must accommodate this. I'm sure there are still plenty of small and large companies using floppy disks.

Keeping an IDE slot available is important if you'd like to take advantage of an older hard drive to either use it or to transfer old data onto a new hard drive.

If your harddrives and CD drives are IDE make sure your motherboard has two IDE interfaces, you never want to hook up a CD driver and a harddrive on a single IDE channel

^ BAh, I wouldn't worry. I have my dvd-writer set to slave and my hard drive set to master on 1 ide channel. Most new motherboards only have one IDE channel anyway. What's the big deal? My system's been running A1 :confused:

yeah they're right, you'll be fine, there isn't different types of IDE (that i'm aware of)... and even if there were older versions of IDE (i don't think there is but i stand ready to be corrected lol) i can guarentee you your new mb will connect no probs to ur new hdd

enjoy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom