[Budget] Media Center/Everyday/Light-gaming PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

nylax4

Baseband Member
So rather then going for a new PC in August I opted for a PS3. As my second gaming console next to my X360 on my 32" HDTV I quickly realized Linux which I finally got around to downloading was not for me. So I'm back. I'm selling my 60GB PS3, 11 Blu-rays, Bluetooth Headset, Warhawk, and HDMI Cable for $550 if anyone is interested. I constantly find myself on the family computer and I want a PC of my own again. PS3 suxxoRz!!1!

($75) CPU- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2ghz Windsor
($40) Mobo- Biostar AM2 ATX
($55) RAM- Patriot Extreme 2GB DDR2 800
($30) Case- COOLER MASTER Centurion 5
($130) Graphics Card- MSI 8600GTS HDCP Ready
($75) Hard Drive- Western Digital Caviar 320GB
($35) Power Supply- Fortron Source 400w PSU
(FREE)DVD/CD Burner- Steal a sweet Asus one from sister

=$440+30 for shipping= $470 after rebates and tax for sweet PC

Purpose: Play back high definition movies and shows (720pish resolutions) that are in weird formats with the VLC player.

The occasionally source based games(TF2, Portal, Half Life 2, Day of Defeat) and some newer games like Bioshock, Crysis, World in Conflict on mediumish-low settings.

Internet with Firefox, AIM, music with Winamp and some Photoshop CS2.

Connect to my TV with a DVI to HDMI cable. Now that the PS3 is out my single HDMI input will be vacant again.

NO OVERCLOCKING & NO VISTA. I just want a good reliable computer that does exactly what I want, fast. I'm typing on a desktop right now that is from 2004, onboard graphics, AMD Athlon XP processor, 1GB of RAM(upgraded) and the thing flys with XP Professional SP2.

I might even run a dual monitor set up. The 32" TV is 1-2' above my dresser. So I might get a cheapy 17" monitor to put on the dresser for normal use and when I want to play videos or movies or just be on the big screen I can use the big screen or both or whatever.

That actually looks like a pretty good machine, for your purposes. The motherboard could be better, but I guess that wouldn't matter, since you're not overclocking.

Why no overclocking? Im just curious...do you think your computer will be unstable? It's fine if you don't but I just want to know your reasons. Also does no overclocking include the graphics card? The 8600GTS really isn't that powerful if it's not overclocked so you would be much better with one of these if you didn't

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100176L Radeon X1950PRO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

Actually the X1950PRO is faster than the 8600GTS even when both are overclocked but I figured you probably wanted DX10.

In addition to no overclocking, he also said no Vista, so I agree, Sora. The X1950PRO would be a better choice.

If he's not going Vista then the X1950PRO would be a much better choice than the 8600GTS because the only advantage it has over the X1950PRO is DX10 which is actually a disadvantage even when it comes to performance hah...

wait he said he wanted to play Crysis, Bioshock and all that... but no Vista? i thought those games required Vista (particularly Crysis)

oh ok.. good choice on the x1950pro

plus it comes with another game...

u know guys... lets convince the guy to overclock..

I don't want to deal with extra fans, CPU coolers, venting, etc. And I'm mostly going to use the PC for general use (AIM, music listening, Firefox) and HD video watching through the VLC player. Would you guys still recommend the x1950pro over the 8600gts? I don't know I just thought the 8600GTS would be better for HD playback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom