Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

termination_bliss

Solid State Member
Hello =]

I am a noob looking to build my first gaming computer pretty soon:D. My budget is around $1,500, and I get really confused on what parts to choose lol. I would like something that will play most of the new games, and will need little ugrades in the next couple of years. Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hey Termination_bliss
Welcome-to-TF.png

$1500 is a nice big budget to work with. So here is a list of parts, I would recommend:

Case - Your choice...
Motherboard - Abit IP35 Pro
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz OEM (From ClubIT.com)
RAM - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
Power Supply - Corsair 550VX
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Tuniq 120 (From svc.com)

This is just the tower. That's not including monitor, keyboard & mouse, and speakers. Do you need the whole system?

If your monitor is about 19"-22", than I'd suggest the EVGA 8800GTS 320MB. A bigger screen than that, go with the GTX.

If you need an OS, and you're wanting to play the new games, then go for Vista Home Premium.

I would personally stay away from Vista. As a techie myself, I've had some major issues with it (factory systems coming out non-compliant, software issues with some older programs) and frankly, the security seems to be tight, but overall it's rather annoying to have to click through all the bs to get to the file you want to download! go XP unless you are wanting DirectX 10. the system above seems to be pretty sound, and should be well within your price range. what games will you be handling on it?:cool:

He mentioned that he wanted to play new games, so that's why I suggested Vista.

I chose the Corsair 550VX, because it has more than enough amps. And it does leave room for future upgrades, because we're heading towards a time, where components will consume less power.

Sweet thanks very much, I forgot to mention that i would be needing a monitor, keyboard,mouse and speakers. But I think I can get a couple more bucks to add them. =]

So b1 your saying that I would need a bigger monitor if I were to go with the gtx??

As for the OS i was thinking of running both Windows XP and Linux, Is that a good choice or no?

And whats so special about DirectX 10?

Once again thanks!

Sweet thanks very much, I forgot to mention that i would be needing a monitor, keyboard,mouse and speakers. But I think I can get a couple more bucks to add them. =]

Here's a revised list, for a whole system:

Case - Your choice...
Motherboard - Gigabyte P35-DS3R
CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz OEM (From ClubIT.com)
RAM - 2 x 1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800
Graphics - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB
Power Supply - Corsair 550VX
Hard Drive - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB
Optical Drive - Sony NEC Optiarc DVD Burner
Monitor - ViewSonic Optiquest 20" 5ms
Speakers - Logitech X-230
Keyboard & Mouse - Microsoft S82-00032S
Optional Aftermarket HSF - Tuniq 120 (From svc.com)

So b1 your saying that I would need a bigger monitor if I were to go with the gtx??

hmm...I wouldn't say needed, but I would recommend a GTX, if you were to go for a larger monitor or larger resolution screen. An 8800GTS can handle 19-22" monitors, very easily.

As for the OS i was thinking of running both Windows XP and Linux, Is that a good choice or no?

And whats so special about DirectX 10?

Once again thanks!

Dual booting XP and Linux is a great choice. But if you want to play the new games in DX10, then you should go Vista Home Premium. DX10 at the moment, is not that stunningly different from DX9. But it will be, with future games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom