Building a computer...one problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacocy99

Beta member
I am building my own computer (first time). It is all put together, as per manufactures instructions. When I turn the computer on, it goes through setup as normal. Then, during operating system (OS) installation, the computer shuts down and emits a warning beep continuously. I am assumming that is is some kind of overheating problem with either the processor, heat sink, and CPU fan. Heat sink fan is working. Heat sink gets hot to the touch. CPU is AMD athalon 2600plus. What other options should I be looking for or what remedies can I do? I bought the processor used (I can still return it), is it possible that it could be overclocked and damaged? Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks.

Try updating your BIOS. Sometimes older BIOS versions don't like Windows 2000 or XP very well. You mention that you think its a cooling problem, so how many fans you you have in your case?

fans and win98

I was trying to install Windows 98, and then I would upgrade to ME using the disk I already have.
I have 4 fans, 2 case fans, one heat sink fan and one fan in the power supply. I have just heard that overheating can do this "beeping" but with the amount of fans I have, I thought maybe it was something else. The motherboard is actually beeping, and if I unplug it, it stops. Any ideas?

Re: fans and win98

cacocy99 said:
I was trying to install Windows 98, and then I would upgrade to ME using the disk I already have.
I have 4 fans, 2 case fans, one heat sink fan and one fan in the power supply. I have just heard that overheating can do this "beeping" but with the amount of fans I have, I thought maybe it was something else. The motherboard is actually beeping, and if I unplug it, it stops. Any ideas?
This beeping is a form of code from your bios telling you something wrong. Consult your motherboard manual for what the code of beeps means.

did you install the heatsink correctly, with thermal paste, etc. if its hot to the touch then u might have installed it wrong. it should only get warm at most. also, look on your motherboard for a little led, motherboards now have them and they tell u codes and u look em up the the manual to see whats wrong

it is not caused by your operation

it must the hardware issue,you can get a post card which can show the condition of your motherboard with the LCD.only about $3 in USA,$1.1 in China.Also sometimes the AMD CPU is very hot,you can adjust the temperature monitor of your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom