Do i need an upgrade to play 1080p files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aesrin

In Runtime
Hello again forumers

I asked about a rig i was planning on buying a few days ago, but i decided to hold out until the new ati phenoms came out. I wanted that rig to be a kind of media medium, to play 1080p (downloaded ;)) files onto my television.

So, here's my question: Could the rig i have now play the 1080p files without any issues? I've been reading up and have heard that you may need some heavy hardware to play them smoothly. I don't have the full files yet, but ETA is just 2 weeks or so away. My current rig is outlined in my signature. If further specs are needed just let me know and i'll provide them as soon as i can!

The 7900GS supports acceleration of H.264 so you shouldn't have a problem. Just try it out and see what happens.

You can play 1080p HD movies with ease, but you won't play them in 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080), on those small monitors.

I must be losing it. Thanks, for pointing that out. As long as that TV supports 1080p, then.

Oh sorry to have left that out, the files are being played onto a 1080p television.

So there shouldn't be any HDCP issues going from computer to television? Apologies in advance if that was a stupid question, i'm still exploring the new HD era...

When you're talking about an HD video card, or HDCP, in computer terms, it's simply how high of a resolution can be rendered, or how many pixels can be produced in general.

When you're talking about HD in terms of TVs or displays, usually it's how many pixels there are, and how many are in a certain amount of space (Hence DPI).

So in other words, if your computer can play and render that many pixels, and the interface is wide enough to transfer them to the TV, and the TV suports displaying that many pixels, then yes, it will be "HD."

Make sure the card is HDCP compliant, or it wil downscale the video to sub par 720p quality although if i do remember correctly Anydvd Hd will let you pass HDCP content through DVI. So in the end its all about HDCP, basically and your tv being able to run at 1080p@30Hz,60Hz, and 24Hz. Im not sure if you can pass 1080p signal Through DVI but im pretty sure you can since most 7 series cards are HDCP ready.

yeah i always try to play 1080p video on my olf comp to find only audio works. But my gtx no's whats going on :). i would say there is no reason at all to get a phenom for watching videos would seem like a waste. unless your gaming aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom