Baseband Member
A friend and I just finished building my new PC with the following specs:

Abit P35 Pro motherboard
Intel Q6600 Quad Core processor
3GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 RAM
WD Raptor 150GB HD
Seasonic S12 650W Power Supply
Windows XP SP2

For my graphics card, I have selected the NVidia Quadro NVS 440. I have two of them.

My monitor is an HP LP1965 19" LCD.

Here's my problem:

When I install the NVS 440 card into the PCIe slot and try to boot up windows, I get a blank screen. Nothing happens. I know windows is booting properly, I just can't see it.

So I went out and bought a PNY NVidia GeForce FX5200. When yank the NVS 440 and replace it with the FX5200 (In the same PCI slot), the comptuer boots, I can see the screen, windows loads, and I'm ready to go, no problems whatsoever.

I am using the latest BIOS from Abit. I'm using the latest everything, considering we built it yesterday and today. I've also updated windows with all patches and service packs, etc.

I have NOT installed the FX5200 drivers.

What could be the problem? Is the NVS 440 graphics card incompatible with my motherboard (It is a 2-D workstation card, no 3-D capabilities)? Could the cards be faulty?

Should I try installing the NVidia drivers and THEN install the NVS 440?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

I don't see why it would be incompatible, since they're using the same graphic slot. So it might be the NVS 440s being faulty.

Usually you install the card first, and then the drivers.

My mistake.

The FX5200 is plugged into a PCI slot, not the PCIe slot.

The NVS 440 is being plugged into the PCIe slot.

I checked the bios and the PCIEx is set to be the primary display card. The only other option in the BIOS is PCI.

I checked the motherboard, and the auxiallary power for the PCIe slots is plugged in.

When using the NVS 440, I can see stuff on the screen right up to the point where you see the windows logo. The screen goes blank right before it loads my desktop.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom