Getting dyndns to work with cpanel

Status
Not open for further replies.

phandentium

In Runtime
I was wondering if I can somehow find a way to get cpanel to work with a dyndns subdomain domain. If I cannot, is there some other form of free webspace that would work with dyndns?

You can't get a cPanel license with a dynamic IP, so you can't get cPanel to work with DynDNS.

If you just want to use DynDNS for a subdomain, you should be able to. Just enter the IP of your server on DnyDNS's web site (where you would normally enter the IP of your PC), and then make an entry for your DynDNS subdomain in your nameserver records. You won't need the DDNS updater client since all cPanel servers must have static IP's.

You might be able to do this using cPanels Parked Domains / Addon Domains feature. If it doesn't let you, you will have to manually add the DNS record in WHM (reseller or root). I don't think standard cPanel client access permits DNS record modification. So you may have to contact your host if you don't have WHM access.

Since most cPanel servers operate a shared server environment, just supplying DynDNS with your server IP won't cut it. You must have something on your server to point traffic from your subdomain to your account (since there could be hundreds of accounts on one IP- DynDNS wouldn't know where to direct the traffic to except to the main IP, which is at default just a blue cPanel placeholder). This is where your DNS records come into play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom