another question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bugabooz

In Runtime
Hey tech-forums

I have an pentium d 940 3.2Ghz that i have overclocked to 3.52 ghz. It runs stable, and I am giving it 1.3 Volts. The highest i got it with out getting the black screen was just a little bit over 3.6 ghz. I let the BIOS adjust the ram speeds according to what the CPU speed was at.

When ever i try to get 3.7 Ghz, or an 15% overclock using the AI overclock, I always get the BSOD.

I hear that this processor can reach like 4.7 ghz or something, and my motherboard is not stopping it either. It could be the temperature, but i doubt it. I think it has something to do with the ram timings, which i do not understand at all, could someone please be kind enough to explain?
Thanks

I might not game that much right now, but i plan to in a few months when i can afford a better video card. Also i would like to see what it is capable of doing.

when you look into your mobos advanced bios settings, there will be options to set the ram latencies such as the cas latency, raise it to make the ram less intensive so your CPU can run without ram restrictions

you can also change the CPU and RAM ratio

or you can underclock your ram

I just raised the CAS latency from 5 to 6, saved and exited BIOS, the system rebooted twice, and now my cpu is back at 3.2 GHz, I guess it reset itself back to stock speeds to prevent damage?

hmm... your ram must not support the latency at that frequency or something

like I said, just underclock your ram or adjust the ratio/divider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom