Big-ticket sli / crossfire setups worth the money?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm probably going to be staying with aircooling, i'm not well versed on watercooling and i'd hope that dropping that much money on my hardware means it performs well enough on air !

So then, what i'm generally hearing is that the q6600 is a better choice than the e6850 for gaming. I'm not really going to be gaming a whole lot until mid 2008. It's probably also going to do better with multitasking? (ex: running video @ 1080p and then doing work on a different monitor)

I may hold out 2-3 months, so i guess by then the phenoms will be out...well let's hope AMD is back in the game =)

Whatever you do go for a full tower, with two cards in there it will be HOTT on air cooling.

As much as everyone wants to say go SLI/crossfire, its not their money. I currently run a 24" monitor at 1920x1200 and only have a single 8800 GTS 320 and run everything at max settings with 0 slow downs. Save your money and get a single 8800 GTX and overclock the crap out of it. By the time you run into any games it cant handle a new card will be out that will be obscenely better and you will have saved a few hundred bucks by not buying 2 cards for twice the price for a meager 40% improvement in performance. Also the 900 is an awesome case, for air cooling i havent found anything else in the price range that can rival it.

Microcenter has the evga ultra on sale for 549. I'm debating on buying it and selling my gts.

Actually the ultra can be overclocked even more than the GTX, otherwise there wouldnt be a "superclocked" version of the ultra, and for the amount that the ultra is on sale for, its only a few bucks more than a GTX.

Actually the ultra can be overclocked even more than the GTX, otherwise there wouldnt be a "superclocked" version of the ultra, and for the amount that the ultra is on sale for, its only a few bucks more than a GTX.

i guess so, but it doesnt seem worth getting it when it's completely fine to have a GTX that is NOT OCed. There will be no differ in games really, except for resolutions 1920x1200 n up. Plus, this will save money on getting a second card for SLI. Crossfire/SLI sounds cool, but isnt worth it unless u were using 2 monitors at high resolutions, high graphic settings, etc.

the Ultra however may take an advantage in probably 3D rendering n graphic design but that depends on how much RAM is on the card.

i would be happy with a 2900 Pro until the R680 or R700 comes out. I want to play games in a 1685x1050. IMO, anything over 1685x1050 for playing games is ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom