32 -> 64 bit. What kind of drivers are needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pc_boy

Daemon Poster
So if i switch to a 64 bit OS, what kid of drivers will i need to find? Everyone says "make sure you can find all the drivers for 64 bit before you switch" but the only driver I installed is for my printer. Nvidia has a 64 bit driver, so am I all set?

You just need to find 64-bit drivers for all your hardware and software. Like a 64-bit driver, for your sound.

ok, i forgot about sound. So i guess another for the wireless adapter. I'm running a notebook, so what about the touch pad mouse? Does that require drivers too?

So i need:

Video
Sound
802.11 adapter
Printer
what else?

your 64bit OS will find most standard drivers (EX- touchpad, keyboard, chipset generic sound cards cd rom ect...) anything fancy like scanners, printers, good graphic cards, decent sound cards, tv-tuners, and wireless will need to find 64bit drivers. you can find them by going to the manufactures website.
when i experimented with vista 64bit i found if a 64bit driver was not available for vista, but there was one for xp, SOMETIMES that one works. (my epson printer anyways)

in my own research i found that going 64bit really provides jack in performance increase *currently* (i know this will start a debate) but there is no true 64bit processor on the market for home computing, plus most apps are designed for 32 bit environments. the only real benefit of a 64 bit OS is the security. and for the security you will give up compatibility.

what kind of things usually go wrong when going to 64 bit? I heard people who got xp 64 bit and random things wouldn't work.

I want to see the 64 bit switch going, both AMD and Intel have 64 bit chips, Operating Systems are available in 64 bit, so what's the big holdup?

what kind of things usually go wrong when going to 64 bit? I heard people who got xp 64 bit and random things wouldn't work.

I want to see the 64 bit switch going, both AMD and Intel have 64 bit chips, Operating Systems are available in 64 bit, so what's the big holdup?

well here are the pros and cons:
pro:
you can install more then 4GB of memory
performance increase when using 64 bit applications
enhanced security because its a 64bit kernel

con:
16bit applications will not work (ex: some freeware crap you got ages ago you still might use!)
driver support sucks
some poorly written 32bit applications will not run properly

and remember for our general home computing there is no true 64bit processor. i forget why this is and i cant really find the article right now but im sure alittle googleing will lead you in the right direction

I honestly see no reason to go 64 bit untill more applications become 64 bit ready. and 4GB of memory is good enough for just about any user for now (even the gamer)

ok, i forgot about sound. So i guess another for the wireless adapter. I'm running a notebook, so what about the touch pad mouse? Does that require drivers too?

So i need:

Video
Sound
802.11 adapter
Printer
what else?

add a mobo driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom