help! please?! argh!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isy

Beta member
ok, i read the stuff on what to do if it doesnt boot up. but mine loads windows then goes blank just when it should show the desktop, though the computer itself is still on, and it isn't the monitor because ive tried it with 2 different ones.

i just put in a floppy drive (there wasn't one before), so this is obviously the reason, but is it because the drive installation itself, do i have to change something in the bios? or is it because ive damaged something? though i dont see how, i kept touching the radiator every 5 minutes to get rid of static and i hardly even touched anything.
and another thing is, the power cable for the floppy, there wasn't one comming straight from the psu, only one comming from the hard drive. does that matter?

spec-
win xp os
p4 2.6 cpu
asus p4p800 motherboard
cant remember the rest

well, does the floppy light stay on? If so, you've got the floppy ribbon cable backwards. Make sure the floppy is set to first boot device in the bios. I'm assuming if you disconnect the floppy, itll boot fine then.

Yeah, also that floppy drive might no be compatible, and if you take it out and you still get that problem then its the motherboard.

i enabled the drive in bios, the same thing happened... disconnected it, re-disabled the drive on bios, and the same thing happens. the light on the drive isn't continuosly on, just flashes at the start.
but i dont see how its the motherboard, all i did was connect the power and cable (which was deffinetly the right way around, i checked) i thought it would all be straight forward. it was working perfectly before. cant be very good if it screws up the whole computer by simply adding a floppy drive. thats a fifth of my student loan down the drain... thanks for the replies though

Not having a floppy drive installed should not stop you from starting Windows. Did you install Windows properly? It may be software problem. Also, your floppy should be alright if the light is not constantly on.

Btw, check your HD jumper and make should they are set properly. I had the same problem when I set the jumper wrong.

It's also possible that you knocked something loose when installing your floppy. Make sure all your hardware and cables are secure (including RAM sticks).
If you completely disconnect your floppy (power and cable), can you load your OS? Might be worth a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom