Got most of my build down, just need a hand narrowing down the choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet

In Runtime
So after weeks of researching i think i am finally ready to start putting this comp together. I just need to help narrowing down some choices and get feedback.

My list so far:

Cool master stacker 830
Q6600 quad G0 stepping
G.Skill DDR2 SDRAM 800 (PC2 6400)
looking at an EVGA 680i MB, or MSI ATX P6N SLI-FI Motherboard
For the HD, i'm looking at two 500gig in a RAID 0 config. any suggestions on which brand i should get?
PSU will either be am ultra 3x 1000w or that silencer psu that was recomended for me, i am planning to do SLI in the future, so thats why i am looking at the ultra 3x.
8800 ultra ( will get another one in the future when they come down in price)
and a 22" samsung monitor 1680x1050 and 2ms response time
The water cooling is still up for grabs, i am looking at this one: 3dGameMan.com - #871 - Thermaltake Bigwater 760i Water Cooling System
but i need to do further research into it.

So i'm still having huge problems with the motherboard, i just dont know what the difference is between all the big name brands. I am planning to overclock so it needs to be a good overclocker, dont need DDR3. Has to be SLI ready and well, perform well.

As for water cooling i would like to hook it up to my processor and vid cards too ( can you hook it up to your mb?) and was wondering if you need two seperate pumps or is it possible to buy one kit?

Hard drives also need to be narrowed down, i need a lot of space. was gonna get the WD 750gig but i also want RAID. So two 500gigs looks to be my best bet so far.

Another thing too is sound. Most motherboards say they support up to 7.1. was just wondering if i should look into buying a sound card as well? i have a nice logitec 5.1 setup now on a sound blaster audigy pro, and i listen to a lot of music. So is the onboard sound a good enough or would you guys recomend getting a sound card?

The last thing would be knowing where to purchase all these. I live in Western Canada and there arent many good computer stores i can walk into and buy from. I would like to buy from the US since most of their components are cheaper and found this site Mail Forwarding Leader - Your Very Own U.S. Mailing Address - Mailforwarding that allows you to bypass the "no shipping to canada"

I would say go with the Cooler master 690 because its cheaper and offers more fans, and for 280, you can get a really nice silverstone.

The Asus Striker motherboard is very good for SLI, or you can get Asus P5N32-E-SLI.

I would go with the Pc power and cooling 750Quad.

ok... overkill build... lets start with taht PSU... 1000w?? your kidding me right? a PC Power and Cooling 610 will be more than enough to take 2 Ultra's and a overclocked Quad-Core, since you like SLi so much... get the eVGA 680i SLi since its 153.99$ at newegg... or get the Asus P5N32-E-SLI (but this uses x8 instead of x16 for SLi) the CoolerMaster 690 is overall better for the price... and get a DangerDen Water Cooling Kit which is overall better

thats what i fort, a 1000W psu is only needed on system running two ultras, about 6 HDs and a quad cpu

is watercooling that dodgy? like the liquid could go on your conponents?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom