PC Randomly Shuts Down

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrazedCanuck

Solid State Member
Hello all,I am Having a bit of an issue with my PC shutting down at random,it could run all day and it only happen once,other days 3 or 4 times a day,its as if someone walked up to the PC and hit the power button,when I reboot there are no error reports and PC works fine,I have no problems with anything on the PC when its running,just for whatever reason it likes to shut down on me.Comp is about 4 months old and this just started happening 3 days ago,the only thing I have done to PC is install a new DVD rom,I thought maybe a bad one so I had that replaced,comp still shut down so I replaced the DVD Rom a 3rd time and still no change,there is no way I got 3 bad DVD roms in a row.I am suspicous of the PSU,I have had it for a while (Approx 2 years)I went a little crazy on the new PC and maybe its lacking power?But why did my problem only start now and not sooner?Stressing out the PSU maybe?Its an Okia 600 Watt Max PSU.Any help anyone may have to offer would soooo greatly be appreciated,I thank you all in advance.

Asus M2N SLI Deluxe Mobo Socket AM2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual Core
2 Gig OCZ PC2 6400 Platinum Memory
Dual EVGA Nvidia 8600 GTs in SLI Mode
Hauppauge TV & Video Capture Card
LG Super Multi DVD Burner
120 Gig Western Digital HD-IDE
OKIA 600 (600 Watt Max) PSU

Again I thank you all in advance for any advice.

If it's two years old, and an off brand, a good bet is the PSU. Could also be overheating. I'd say get a better psu.

Besides a weak and failing supply a few other things will cause sudden shutdowns or restarts. One often overlooked item is the lithium type battery on the board itself. While some may see one last a full 5yrs. they can go at any time especially after the first year of use. Those are $3 items in the calculator/watch dept at retail stores.

Another thing besides seeing a battery go fast especially on new build is temps! Are you seeing board or cpu temps high? If you haven't been monitoring temps with any program or looking at the hardware monitor in the system bios you could have that type of problem rather then a quick failing supply.

Neither could be ruled out if the supply has a bad cap or lack of good regulation. That's definitely an off name and probably lower quality 600w model there. What kind of price ranger are you looking at for a good replacement?

go to Control Panel-> Administrative Options-> Event Viewer-> System and look if you have not done that already.

When you go to use that seen in Adminstrative Tools not options you may find that the catagory will show N/A meaning not available. Due to several game crashes from both sound and video where the problem was known the event viewer lacks any specifics other then a number like 1005 or 7001.

Without a reference chart any seen won't point out the source of the problem. But you can see what the system looks like in the image here.
http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/6898/eventviewerqf8.jpg

Hello all and thank you for the quick replies.I went into control panel and Administrative tools,checked system and I have 20 errors there,all happened on the same day(Sept.26/07) within 2 minutes of each other.Here is the error info:

Type-Error,Date-9/26/2007,Time-all 20 errors happened between 1:44pm to 1:46pm,Source-Atapi,Category-None,Event-9,User-N/A.

I am not sure if this helps or even makes a difference,But,The PC was working perfectly until I replaced the DVD burner,it did it almost immediately after the new burner install,as you already know I changed it twice after that with the exact same brand and model of burner I have always used.I am replacing the PSU regardless of the issue,but I would still like very much to get to the heart of the problem so I know for sure what is going on.Anyone have any suggestions on a kickin PSU Ill put out a couple hundred bucks if need be.
Sorry almost forgot,I have no over heating issues,I use Asus Probe and all checks out fine there temp wise.Again I thank you all in advance for your help.

There are good makes and models to choose from like Corsair's HX620 or the OCZ GameXStream 700w model. It depends on the type of build too. Do you have any SLI or Crossfire plans?

Antec has a few out now that are a little more hefty like the True Power 3 650w model and the new TPQ 850 and 1000w models made by Enhance. Here's a list of some makes to consider and others to shy away from.

Good:

Acbel Polytec
Akasa
Antec
Astec
Asus
Channelwell
Corsair
Delta
Enermax
Enhance
Etasis
FSP
Gigabyte
Impervio
Lite-On
Masscool
OCZ
PC Power and Cooling
Seasonic
Seventeam
Silverstone
Sparkle
Thermaltake Toughpowers
Ultra
Wintact
Wintec
XClio
Zalman
Zippy

Bad:

Achieve
Allied
Apevia/Aspire
Austin
Can Power
Chiefmax
Codegen
Colors It
Deer
Diablotek
Dynapower
Hairong
Hyena
JPAC
L&C
Leadman
Linkworld
Logisys
PowerTek
PowerUp
Powmax
Powork
Raidmax units included with cases
Real Power Enterprise
Rhycom
Turbolink
YE
Youngyear

The Antec TP3s are lower end Seasonic models.

Thank you very much on the PSU info eyeCpc,think I will check out the Thermaltakes,I see that brand name come up a lot for gaming PCs.Your question on SLI or Crossfire plans,I am currently running SLI now with two Evga Nvidia 8600 GTs,if thats what you mean by your question.....Thanks so much again for the info.

That's one reason why I mentioned the newer Antec TPQ models since those are higher powered if you oc at all and want to crank things up a bit. Enhance generally sees the heavier supplies anyways. Enermax used to be one name for the older builds. But if you are looking for one with an energy saving feature the Corsair HX620 620w model is a good one for a gaming build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom