upgrade from Windows 2000 to Vista Ultimate work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why go upgrade and Ultimate when you can go full install OEM for system builders for less seen on the Home Premium edition? Microsoft Vista Operating System 66I-00715 Home Premium on DVD for OEM Computers Only 1 Pack-Best Computer Online Store Houston Buy Discount Prices Texas-Directron.com

For the higher price the Ultimate edition offers 4 things different then Home Premium namely 3 features for networking and one hardware protection feature. When going to install to replace 2000 that will take the Windows, MyDocuments, and Programs folders and put them into a Windows/old folder for retrieving files later.

The problem with an upgrade disk is once 2000 is gone you would need to reinstall that version or another if you have to reinstall Vista for some reason later. The price seen there is the best seen so far for saving on price too.

You cant upgrade directly from 2000 to Vista. You can only do that with XP. So you will have to do teh Upgrade diesc install trick in order to get this to work correctly. Which basically means installing Vista twice.

You cant upgrade directly from 2000 to Vista. You can only do that with XP. So you will have to do teh Upgrade diesc install trick in order to get this to work correctly. Which basically means installing Vista twice.

o really? that doesnt sound too hard. U know a guide to doing this method? Because if i attempt this, i do not want to mess up.

EDIT:

i just looked at peterhuang913's link he gave me, n it shows that i cant upgrade from 2000 to Vista, which sucks.

probably on the save side, ill just get what i posted instead of the upgrade version.

As i said in my post. You cant upgrade to Vista directly from 2000. It would basically be a fresh install of VIsta and you would lose your 2000 stuff.

You really need a full version to see Vista go on there since you don't have a direct upgrade option. When going to use a full version installation disk the Vista installer will archive any MS created folders in a "Windows.old" folder for retrieving files afterwards.

That's without any reformat and deletion of the current primary for seeing a clean install on a new primary. You should backup anything you haven't already in preparation for this. With a full install disk you simply boot from that to see the installer start up.

like said my Makaveli and Peter... you can't do a direct upgrade... just do a clean install or format 2000 (but backup first) or use Norton Ghost to save settings and programs (i don't know if that works or not)

like said my Makaveli and Peter... you can't do a direct upgrade... just do a clean install or format 2000 (but backup first) or use Norton Ghost to save settings and programs (i don't know if that works or not)

You can forget programs since any that will still run on the two versions of Windows leap would need to see a fresh install there. That might work with some games that run on 2000. But for desktop apps just upgrading to XP the next inline will see some that need newer versions in order to run.

Norton Ghost or Acronis Suite would be one method for creating an image of other types of files like photos and more personal data. But with an extra drive onhand generally a copy+paste to it if you don't have a software will preserve things there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom