Can't Reformat

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Immortal..."

I'm going to be honest with you; the Windows XP cd isn't going to make it any faster. Beleive me. Why would you want the winxp cd? that only add's an operating system to the drive. Are you trying to do that?

You can run you're HP cd independantly in DOS mode. Their should be a option where you can 'boot with command prompt' in there...:cool:

Thats the thing, I don't have the HP CD, that is what D drive is for, to reformat, but it is corrupted

"Get Info..."

Sorry i didn't answer back last night... I sort-of fell asleep on the keyboard... :)

You mean you don't have a drive with an operating system? This is bad... Try starting your comuter thru drive 'D:', and press F5 during startup. That should give you a couple of options. one of which are Safe Mode.

That should ignore the drive error crap for a little while. Enough time for you to figure out what's wrong with it... :confused: :cool:

i used to have a HP computer. i didn't have a cd either. the restore files were on another drive. so, i eventually tossed the HP, and bulilt my own!!! that would be my suggestion to you.

"I think i figured it out..."

Oh yeah:

Erasing IS Reformatting.

The reason i told you to do it in DOS mode, was because the File \minint\system32\KDCOM.DLL is a system file for windows. And the reason you're getting that error message is because Windows isn't going to let you dellete it, because it think's it's a part of itself.

Use the floppy disk to go into go into DOS mode, then type:

format D: /s (i'm using drive D:, only as an example.)

Press enter, wait for it to finish, then it's going to ask you to label the disk. Name it whatever, then press enter.

(You're not out of the woods yet...)

After you've reformatted, type:

D:\> (i'm using drive D:, only as an example.)

Press Enter, then...

del command.com

then press enter. Then restart your computer, and the thing will be COMPLETELEY empty.:cool:

PS: You might want to print this :)

Now if you want to reformat the drive, without erasing any data, You're out of luck. But if you allready have a drive with an OS, and you're trying to erase a separate drive, Than this should work...;) :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom