Prescott vs Northwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebathan

Baseband Member
I'm getting ready to build my own computer and I was looking at CPU's and noticed that 3 ghz prescotts have 1mb l2 cache but people have mentioned it gets rather hot, while the northwood 3 ghz have 512bk l2 cache runs much cooler but has a smaller cache. So i was wondering if its still better to go with the 1mb cache and maybe buy a new fan and heat sink for it?

bacisally what ppl say here.. is that it runs hotter. They are also saying that.. it runs alittle faster. But i dunno about alittle.. cause why would intel make a new core when its only ALITTLE faster then there old core? But im running the stock intel fan and i dont have any overheating problems... even when im playing games. So i would get it.

the prescott core runs A LITTLE faster than the northwood

ie 3.2ghz Prescott > 3.2Ghz Northwood

the reason Intel made the Prescott core is because it has the ability to clock higher 3.4, 3.6, 3.8, 4.0 and so on, while the northwood core is seeing its peaks at about 3.4 MAYBE 3.6

EDIT: the prescott runs hotter

Prescotts are not worth it..

Unless you plan on buying an expensive cooling device, stick with the northwoods.. the prescotts have higher clock speeds on certain app's/benchmarks but are not worth it for the common user..

Besides, the northwoods are one of the best cpu's to OC in the market today.. why? simple. It runs cool..

Even with my crappy stock heatsink/fan that came with my cpu, i get temps at around 38-41c idle and 42-46c on heavy load. that is great for a stock stuff.. I can bet that even if I increased my cpu to 3.0-3.2ghz I would still be fine with my stock crap.. I cannot say the same for 90% of the other cpu's out today

like already posted...

WQ87 said:
Good post:

"From this perspective, the results are sobering, because even at 4 GHz little changes in the balance of power between the two cores. Northwood is and remains the faster processor in common applications, even if the difference can be virtually ignored in application."

that is the only thing that counts, potential is nothing if the sh!t is to hot, few would benefit from that prescott anyway so get the northwood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom