Why can I get to 2.8ghz on stock voltage but can't get anymore with more voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I have a socket 939 amdX2 3800 that I've overclocked to 2.8ghz on the stock cooler. So far I've tested it at 1.3v for 4 hours with no problems and it runs at 60c. Now thats about as hot as I would want and am going to get a better hsf. However I wanted to see if I could get anymore out of it. I'm trying 2.9ghz and have tried voltage from 1.3 - 1.425 but orthos always fails right around the 8 minute mark but temps only go up about 1c - 2c.

From what I've read the X2 breaking point is between 65c and 71c and I figured giving more volts would net atleast a little bit of gain as long as the temp stayed good...
What could be causing it to fail???

I'll try that but I'm using ram dividers and actually the ram is running below normal speed but with tighter timings. I think I've ran the ram at these speeds before on my old processor though.

That's the same proc I had before I got my quad.

I wouldn't run that at 60c if I were you. Those werent made to run that hot.

2.4-2.6ghz is what most people ran those at for temperature reasons.

Well I'm gonna get a better hsf soon. But I loosened the timings and now I can get from 2.8ghz to 2.9ghz but it requires me to go from 1.2 volts up to 1.3 volts and it goes from 51c to 61c. Seems pretty crazy to need that much for so little (I may even be able to run 2.8ghz with less volts). Hopefully a better hsf would help but it seems like I'd have to add a lot of volts :(

That's the same proc I had before I got my quad.

I wouldn't run that at 60c if I were you. Those werent made to run that hot.

2.4-2.6ghz is what most people ran those at for temperature reasons.

i know mines a single core 3800+ but they stay cool at stock then if you bump up the core speed say from 2.41Ghz to 2.7GHz you can expect the temp to double

Just ran a stress test with orthos for 8 hours. Did the Blend - stress cpu and ram with a 1.2v and 2.8ghz setting (280 x 10, with a 3/5 ram ratio 3/6/6/10 its cheap ram so I just loosened it a bunch and will tighten it later). It ran fine for over 8 hours and got up to 52c. I'll try running the small ffts -stress cpu now.

I think this is gonna turn out like my single core 3000+. I can get real high on low volts but as soon as I try to pass it I have to put a absurd amount of volts and the temp goes up a lot for only 5% - 10% performance gain.

So I'll probably stick with the 2.8ghz until I get better colling but is a 3/5 ram ratio ok? I remember when overclocking my 3000+ people said it was fine because it didn't need much speed, but would I be better off running at 2.5 and using a 4/5 ratio or 2.8ghz with 3/5 ratio?

Whats the most amount of volts I should put to a X2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom