Ad-aware SE 1.06r1 performance problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabb

gone
So I got the older version because the new 2007 has an active running program for no apparent reason and if you disable it you cant even run the program, and it automatically sets itself to startup on windows startup even if you shut it off on msconfig. So anyways with the older version ( which can update and everything ) when I run smart system scan it works fine but if I run full system scan it hangs and says not responding after a while ( gave it 3 hours and this happened multiple times ). I'm wondering if maybe its a hard drive issue in that I installed ad-aware to my S drive ( my seagate storage drive ) and Im wondering if there could be any conflicts with it reading the C drive ( my raptor game drive )

Not the problem. You may have seen an incomplete download if you went for a copy and are seeing this now. I tried the beta version of 2007 and had to dump it for the older version here.

Still get thoes regular messages of new definition is availble. current definition is 17days old. I would simply remove that and try a fresh download of the older version.

Not the problem. You may have seen an incomplete download if you went for a copy and are seeing this now. I tried the beta version of 2007 and had to dump it for the older version here.

Still get thoes regular messages of new definition is availble. current definition is 17days old. I would simply remove that and try a fresh download of the older version.

hmmm but I can update and complete the smart system scan download just fine thought?

The 2007 version finally was put on Vista here and has the new ad watch feature you can enable. That's probably the item you misunderstood earlier.

I still use the older release on XP and find it more reliable then other programs. This is why you would probably need to reinstall the older version in order to see the problem corrected since something was knocked out there. Since it installs I would simply download a fresh copy or reinstall it if you saved the first in a folder.

The 2007 version finally was put on Vista here and has the new ad watch feature you can enable. That's probably the item you misunderstood earlier.

I still use the older release on XP and find it more reliable then other programs. This is why you would probably need to reinstall the older version in order to see the problem corrected since something was knocked out there. Since it installs I would simply download a fresh copy or reinstall it if you saved the first in a folder.

so just reinstall it is the solution?

That would see a fresh copy if you download it again or see perhaps a registry value finally created if there was a bad install the first time. Another prgram that seems to do well at catching what Ad-Aware misses is called Spyware Terminator found at Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator

That one plus Ad-Aware and Grisoft's AVG 7.5 have been working great together on XP here and seem to run well on Vista. And they are all free! :D

That would see a fresh copy if you download it again or see perhaps a registry value finally created if there was a bad install the first time. Another prgram that seems to do well at catching what Ad-Aware misses is called Spyware Terminator found at Free spyware removal and spyware protection - Spyware Terminator

That one plus Ad-Aware and Grisoft's AVG 7.5 have been working great together on XP here and seem to run well on Vista. And they are all free! :D

thanks for the recommendation, ill get that too

I've seen some great results with the three different programs running together. The 2007 version just grabbed a browser hijack attempt and removed a pair of entries in the registry when I put that on earlier. I give the S.T, program a better review then Spybot S&D and others there.

Er what sucks about spyware terminator is that even if you disable real time protection, sp_rsser.exe runs in the background and it cant be disabled and takes 28,568 K to run...is there anyway to disable it? this is the reason why I didnt want Ad-aware 2007 in the first place

With any of these programs whether AVG, Spyware Terminator, Ad-Aware, Spybot S&D, and a long list others you simply open the msconfig utility and look in both the startup and services tabs for the items they have there and simply uncheck the boxes next to them. But that will also disable any autpupdate feature they have too.

Make sure you check the hide all Microsoft services box when going into the services tab since you could accidently disable the wrong thing namely an eseential background service for Windows there. Fortunately however you can always go back in and re-enabled anything you disable even if you have to boot up in safe mode. A system restart is required to see any changes put into effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom