DOS program in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
We have a patient database here that is a DOS application. We have never upgraded it because we really just never bothered since it works fine. Anyway, we are getting concerned with the old PC it is on. I tried copying the files and installing on XP. No luck. Tried slaving the drive and running it that way. No luck. Tried running in compatibilty mode. No luck. Trying to find a third party app to convert the data into something useful that my CFO will approve. Any suggestions?

Is it on an old 98 machine or what? Would it be possible to just set up a virtual machine running whatever OS is on the old one?

Yeah it's 98. And corporate wants all non XP machines gone by end of the year. Haven't thought about a virtual machine, nor have I ever done that. I'll have to do some research in that area.

Ya i figured it was 98 since 2k had the same issues with certain Dos programs. Running a virtual machine is probably going to be the safest bet without having to convert/upgrade the software. If you can get a virtual machine up and running you should just be able to swap the old drive in also.

OK, downloaded virtual PC from microsoft and installed it. Createded the virtual pc, ran the wizard and started the virtual pc. Now it wants a CD for win 98? I will have to get one from a torrent site if it needs that. I did however copy the entire contents of the other drive to a network share so all the data and stuff is safe. Any way I can install from there?

Nah, does the old machine still have a windows 98 cd key on it? If so just look for a copy of that cd somewhere.

If you want that old machine exactly the way it is, just ghost (or any other drive copying software) the old machine and then ghost it back into the virtual. Works perfectly :)

You could always give DOSbox a try. Its free, and its compatibility is awesome.

I agree. That is what I was thinking. Why not just use DOSbox to run the DOS program in XP? With DOSbox you don't have to install a whole OS, it just emulates dos for you very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom