8800 Gts Passive Cooling! Crap

Status
Not open for further replies.

commandercup

cuPWNED
... I was changing the thermal paste on my 8800 since the stock stuff is horrible and after I finished and rescrewed everything back... I forgot to plug in the fan cable... thank god the card didn't get past the windows booting screen (approx 5-10 minutes without fan)

gpu's have boot clocks so they should experience less heat...

I was wondering why it wasn't booting and then realized the fan wasn't blowing... I immediately turned of the pc and took out the card, nearly burning my hands... it was incredibly hot, hot enough to cook an egg on it... it heated up the plastic I had laid it on... it was like touching the carpet after an iron was placed on it...

I've just replugged in the fan cable and am currently starting up the PC to see if the GPU works... do you guys think there was any permanent damage? I remember smelling something burning (computer parts) and thats what sparked me to remember that I had forgotten to plug the fan in...

Dear jesus, what a horrible day

It's a distinct possibility. I did the same thing to mine a few weeks back, sans "oopsie" and it brought my temps down about 10C.

I think I'm good to go... I was checking it with ATITool up to 65 degrees when my pc died (the power cable on the card fell off somehow..., immediately turned on and trying again) but it was getting 800-1000 fps like normal on the 3d view

I rarely ever double post... but I'm too happy for words (don't give me an infraction please! I'll never do it again)

But I have to say... thank you so much EVGA... and Nvidia for that matter... the build quality on the GTS must be amazing... I literally smelt burning while the fan was off (which prompted me to check that the fan was working, which it wasn't) and now I ran 3DMark06 to make sure its working up to par, and I got a higher score then I did before... I got 9313! amazing... thank you so much for not letting this baby die, albeit the life span probably got shortened lol

... I was changing the thermal paste on my 8800 since the stock stuff is horrible and after I finished and rescrewed everything back... I forgot to plug in the fan cable... thank god the card didn't get past the windows booting screen (approx 5-10 minutes without fan)

gpu's have boot clocks so they should experience less heat...

I was wondering why it wasn't booting and then realized the fan wasn't blowing... I immediately turned of the pc and took out the card, nearly burning my hands... it was incredibly hot, hot enough to cook an egg on it... it heated up the plastic I had laid it on... it was like touching the carpet after an iron was placed on it...

I've just replugged in the fan cable and am currently starting up the PC to see if the GPU works... do you guys think there was any permanent damage? I remember smelling something burning (computer parts) and thats what sparked me to remember that I had forgotten to plug the fan in...

Dear jesus, what a horrible day

yeah no offense but what you did was pretty stupid, for a couple reasons:

1. You should of remembered my story, I had to same problem with my 8800 gtx, but I simply RMA'd the card and my new one runs 10 celcius cooler!

2. You took out the card after you just shut down your computer which means the card is still blazing hot, couldn't you have just waited like 10 minutes? Not to mention isnt it bad to remove parts right after a shut down since their still might be electricity running through it?

3. Forgetting to plug in the fan cable, thats something like seriously you should never forget, you probably did things way too hastly and it cost you

seriously take my advice...RMA the card and just pray they don't see that you've applied your own thermal paste to the card ( which yes indeeds voids many warranties ). EVGA has lifetime warranty for a reason...and theres a good chance some long term damage was done to the card...

1. You should of remembered my story, I had to same problem with my 8800 gtx, but I simply RMA'd the card and my new one runs 10 celcius cooler!

2. You took out the card after you just shut down your computer which means the card is still blazing hot, couldn't you have just waited like 10 minutes? Not to mention isnt it bad to remove parts right after a shut down since their still might be electricity running through it? I turned off the power, and turned off the power supply as well, thus no electricity was running through it by the time I took it out (unscrewed two screws etc.) I wanted it to cool faster so I took it out 0_0, not to mention panic

3. Forgetting to plug in the fan cable, thats something like seriously you should never forget, you probably did things way too hastly and it cost you

seriously take my advice...RMA the card and just pray they don't see that you've applied your own thermal paste to the card ( which yes indeeds voids many warranties ). EVGA has lifetime warranty for a reason...and theres a good chance some long term damage was done to the card... Well I really can't live without my PC and I only have this card... an RMA will take around a week, not to mention I have to cover shipping... if anything I should replace it when it dies, since it'll still be in the same condition, I'll probably check to see if there are any visible burn marks on the GPU/Memory in a couple days or so

On a good note, games still perform well, exactly the same FPS' as before not to mention my temperature has dropped a good 4-8 degrees after applying the new thermal paste

2. You took out the card after you just shut down your computer which means the card is still blazing hot, couldn't you have just waited like 10 minutes? Not to mention isnt it bad to remove parts right after a shut down since their still might be electricity running through it?

seriously take my advice...RMA the card and just pray they don't see that you've applied your own thermal paste to the card ( which yes indeeds voids many warranties ). EVGA has lifetime warranty for a reason...and theres a good chance some long term damage was done to the card...

um ok.. first reason... he wasn't here when you had your 8800gtx mishap...

On a good note, games still perform well, exactly the same FPS' as before not to mention my temperature has dropped a good 4-8 degrees after applying the new thermal paste

Well I'm glad to hear things are going well for you, I guess you don't have to RMA it now. Just RMA it in like a year or two to get a fresh one, I doubt they will even notice the new thermal paste. Also don't forget to register your EVGA product within 30 days or you dont get lifetime warranty! ( A fatal error some can easily make )

Also EVGA has something called the advanced RMA program or whatever. They send you a replacement card first and you get that and use it and send in your card. It costs like 5 dollars more if you dont have a evga motherboard ( some discount they give ), but it means you will always have a video card. Problem is, if they dont recieve your old card within 14 days they charge you for the new one they sent you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom