General budget build outline

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
Hey, is probably the standard build I see around here. What do you guys think? This guys current p4 rig is days from death....he has no cash so wherever you see places to cut $$$ please advise.

Also...don't throw stuff at me now...he WILL NOT OVERCLOCK no matter how safe I tell him it is. Here are his needs:

Internet and general office/school stuff: 60%
CS:S and WOW: 40%

He's not much of a gamer...just those two games. So...considering he won't overclock and doesn't exactly have any super demanding games, can he save a few bucks anywhere?

mobo: biostar TF7025 - $85
cpu: amd x2 4200 - $100
ram: OCZ NVIDIA SLI Ready XTC 2gb - $70
gpu: evga 8600gts - $170
hd: 250gb hd - $77
psu: fsp 400w - $75
case: Centurion 5 - $65
Drives: dvd burner - $45

total: just under $700

he could use the integrated graphics depending on how demanding the game is... or just get a regular 8600gt

To play those two games an 8600GT is perfectly fine. By the way where are you getting those parts? Those prices are higher than anything I would pay for in Toronto.

just grabbed a local store's prices for now...will do some digging once I finalize the build....you have suggestions for GTA north and west buys? I did a quick search at canada computers and ncix.com and found them to be around this price.

Yeah NCIX is probably the best especially if you can get the parts from their new warehouse in Markham. I'm a reseller from a few different places so I was looking at my prices sorry. Canada Computers has been a little too pricey lately. Theres a really good place that I've been going to lately on Wilson Ave. west of Allen Rd. Can't think of the name though... I'll try and find it online and get back.

If he's just doing Wow and other old games, look into getting a 1650xt or pro. I had one running in my old sytem and it ran wow perfectly fine, and can be had for well under 100 bucks these days. Also, you might look into getting a cheap intel board and one of the brand new dual core cpus that they just launched. The cpu is i think sub 80 bucks?

Newegg.com - SAPPHIRE 100165L Radeon X1650PRO 512MB 128-bit GDDR2 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Newegg.com - ECS P35T-A LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Newegg.com - Intel Dual-Core E2180 Allendale 2.0GHz 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom