Video Card Upgrade Compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul003

Beta member
A friend wants me to install a new video card in their computer. It currently has a nvidia GeForce4 MX 440 with AGP8X and I just need something that supports dual monitor and will be good to run Adobe Flash (as cheap as possible)

What do I need to be aware of as far as compatibility goes with the current computer? For example, most cards I have looked at have DDR Memory and I think the computer in question has SDRAM, is this an issue? I can find out and post the full specs of the PC if needed.

Cheers,
Paul

What gurusan said.

Given that the current card is a MX 440, I'm going to assume the system is a bit old. It's probably time to consider upgrading. If that's not an option, I still wouldn't put a lot of money into that system. I'd really consider it on "life support."

If your friend has around $100 to spend then look into a card based on either the Nvidia 7600GS GPU or the ATI 1650 Pro GPU. Something like this EVGA 7600 GS or this HIS Radeon X1650PRO. I wouldn't spend more than that for that system (unless it's a lot better than I am guessing).

If that's too high, maybe something with an Nvidia 5200 or 5500 GPU or an ATI-based card with 9550 or 9600 Pro GPU would be better. They are around $50.

Again, just make sure any card you consider is AGP 8X compatible.

Thanks for your answers, the system is definately on "life support" not worth spending heaps of money on, just needs the dual monitor upgrade, so something in the Nvidia 5200 or 5500 ranage looks perfect.

Thanks again,
Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom