When will parents learn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PizzatheHut06

Daemon Poster
My parents want a new computer, but unfortunately they don't trust me to build them one, they're insisting on getting a name brand package deal. If you had to recommend one brand, which would it be? Also, so I can tell my dad, how much of a performance difference is there between a package deal brand and a custom built? I've heard that the reasons Compaqs or HPs or anyone else has slow computers is because they use crappy parts and power supplies that don't allow the parts to run at full speed. Is that true?

Yes, that is true about HPs and Compaq's. They will use PC2100 RAM on a processor with a 400MHz FSB. This will cause the FSB to syncronise with the PC2100, slowing the system down tremendously. They will also include a 5400RPM HDD with a 2MB buffer, which totally sucks. Try to convince them to let you build one for them, but if you can't, convince them to get it custom built at a local "mom-and-pop" computer store in your area.

my parents didnt trust me but now i have built about 5 computers in the last 2 monthes that work flawlessly. They still dont trust me though...

My dad is pretty skeptical, he just wants something that he won't have to fool with at all, and I've tried to make a case for building one, but he thinks that they'll break or not work properly. I've told him that it's not rocket science building one, but he knows nothing about them and would rather buy one. I saw an advertisement for a Dell the other day, a computer and monitor for $499. They were advertising how it was a pentium 4 2.66 GHz, which is nice, but I noticed in the small print that it had 128 MB of RAM. What a crock.

what do they want to use that computer for?if its just simple stuff like online browsing, maybe some video editing, not demanding games, etc.. then dell's are just fine..

but if uyour going to use it for grphic intense app's, gaming, editing, etc.. stay the hell away from brand name computers..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom