Socket Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aragorn2316

Solid State Member
Hey everyone! I'm new here to the forums and this is my first post and question. I recently purchased a NVIDIA 8800GTX 768MB graphics card to update my system a little. I soon found that my processor and/or RAM don't work very well in keeping up with this leviathan. So I found a good deal on 2GB of DDR2 RAM and purchased that as well. Currently I run off of Socket 939 which I have now found to be quite dated, as Socket 775 and Socket AM2 seem to be the leading ones in popularity now. Anyway, in order to get a good upgrade in a processor, it seems I will have to switch to AM2 as they really don't make many processors for 939 anymore. I also found out the RAM I ordered is not compatible with my motherboard which only supports DDR RAM. So I figured now is the time to find out which socket to switch to. Any suggestions would be appreciated :).

My current system specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9, PCI Express, ATX, 4 DDR RAM slots, socket 939
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX 768MB
RAM: 2GB DDR
Hard Drive: Seagate 250GB, with Hitachi 1TB external
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.4GHZ Socket 939

Hey Aragorn2316
Welcome-to-TF.png

It depends, on which brand you would like to stick with. Intel as of now, is ahead. But AMD will be releasing their new processors in a few months, which I believe will be better. Then by early next year, Intel will release their new CPUs.

If you can wait those couple of months, I think the release of AMD's new CPUs, are sometime in November. Then I would suggest going the AMD route.

Yeah, I'd like to stick with AMD, i had my eye on the 64 X2 6000+ 3.0GHZ processor.

Thanks for the welcome :)

Would you consider, going with the 4000+ for now? So that you can save money, on getting those AMD Phenoms in November?

cool, thanks for the heads up on that, does anyone know the specs on AMD's new processors? and prices (estimated)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom