stupid guy wants 4GB of RAM...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfenwick

Fully Optimized
K, my brother in law fancies himself a knowledgeable computer guy and is insisting on getting 4GB of RAM for his computer...he's using XP and his budget is only around $750 or so.

From what I've read in these forums the second 2GB is a waste, unless on Vista and doing significant video editing (which he doesn't do at all). I'm trying to convince him to put the extra $$$ into his GPU instead...from a 8600gts to an 8800gts but he's being stubborn.

Anyone have a link to show the lack of gain of 4gb or even 3gb over 2gb dual channel? Thanks...don't want the dork to waste his $$$ and he's too stubborn to take my advice.

The build is for school and gaming.

Unless he has 64bit XP the 4gb won't even be recognized.

8800GTS first, then 4gb if you have a 64 bit OS. 4gb is beginning to be the new standard....

2gb isn't cutting it for me with Vista 64 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

just lie to him and say xp only recognizes 2 gigs lol

what a waste... thats ridiculous if he ever plans to game or watch hd content, he should get the 8800 over the 4 gigs...

Unless he has 64bit XP the 4gb won't even be recognized.

8800GTS first, then 4gb if you have a 64 bit OS. 4gb is beginning to be the new standard....

2gb isn't cutting it for me with Vista 64 and Enemy Territory: Quake Wars.

With Vista 2GB or more is needed however in XP 2GB for the newest of games we all know is plenty while 1GB at a lower resolution will offer very good framerates still.

yeah. already did the 2900pro thing, told hit it was on par with the 8800....he's still on the 4gb rant. and XP is 32 bit, I know cuz i gave it to him :p

He's not bad with software but I think he assumes that carries him over into the hardware world....like default knowledge or something.

Lol, atleast I know, and admit, I'm ignorant in both worlds!

Thanks for the links i'll pass them along

yeah. already did the 2900pro thing, told hit it was on par with the 8800....he's still on the 4gb rant. and XP is 32 bit, I know cuz i gave it to him :p

He's not bad with software but I think he assumes that carries him over into the hardware world....like default knowledge or something.

Lol, atleast I know, and admit, I'm ignorant in both worlds!

Thanks for the links i'll pass them along

lol?? your ignorant?? lol thats the stupidest thing i've ever heard... besides another person saying 1 to the 8th power is 8... but this is sillier... you seem smart in Hardware...

With Vista 2GB or more is needed however in XP 2GB for the newest of games we all know is plenty while 1GB at a lower resolution will offer very good framerates still.

Even in XP games like WIC, SupCom, ET:QW, BF2142 all benefit significantly from 4gb.

It's more the games, less the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom