DDR2 5300? Too slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HELPMEPLZ

Baseband Member
Hi,
im thinking of buying a 8800GTS 320mb Fatal1ty edition, but im worried my actual Ram will bottleneck it in games, is PC2-5300 too slow or? and im not sure if my motherboard can take faster ram if that is needed, my motherboard is a Intel 965LT chipset it says supports 533/800 but yeah i dunno?

Anyway will that ram bottle neck it? im using 2x 1gb Corsair PC2-5300 DDR2 with a e6600 cpu.

it all depends on if you are overclocked or not...ram speed itself doesn't matter since C2D's use only DDR2-533 to run. If you overclock the CPU though to keep up with the FSB of the CPU then you need faster ram.

it all depends on if you are overclocked or not...ram speed itself doesn't matter since C2D's use only DDR2-533 to run. If you overclock the CPU though to keep up with the FSB of the CPU then you need faster ram.

In CPU-Z my ram says 333MHz? Is it too slow now lol?

ram.JPG

Oh and by the way, i don't plan on OC'ing my CPU for a while.

Intel Core2Duo e6600
EVGA GeForce 8800GTS
ram in above screenshot
Motherboard Intel Desktop Board DP965LT

I would set your FSB to 333mhz. Your e6600 will jump to 2997mhz and you shouldn't have to change any voltages at all.

Aside from the benefits of the mild overclock (a c2d @ 3ghz is very fast), this will allow you to run your memory at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB...something that Core 2 Duos just love.

I would set your FSB to 333mhz. Your e6600 will jump to 2997mhz and you shouldn't have to change any voltages at all.

Aside from the benefits of the mild overclock (a c2d @ 3ghz is very fast), this will allow you to run your memory at a 1:1 ratio with the FSB...something that Core 2 Duos just love.

im a utter newbie to overclocking (OC graphics card cause its moving a slider up and down :p) but i read the guide on some site about FSB etc when CPU overclocking and are you suggesting i change the CPU fsb to 333mhz with the same multiplier? and will i have to change any ram settings?

im a utter newbie to overclocking (OC graphics card cause its moving a slider up and down :p) but i read the guide on some site about FSB etc when CPU overclocking and are you suggesting i change the CPU fsb to 333mhz with the same multiplier? and will i have to change any ram settings?

Default FSB is 266 mhz, 333mhz is such a mild overclock that voltages and temperatures won't be an issue.

All you need to do is set the CPU fsb to 333mhz (yes keept he same 9x multiplier), and then go to the ram settings and make sure it says either 1:1 or 667mhz.

This will bump your e6600 from 2400 to 2997mhz...easiest overclock in the world.

Default FSB is 266 mhz, 333mhz is such a mild overclock that voltages and temperatures won't be an issue.

All you need to do is set the CPU fsb to 333mhz (yes keept he same 9x multiplier), and then go to the ram settings and make sure it says either 1:1 or 667mhz.

This will bump your e6600 from 2400 to 2997mhz...easiest overclock in the world.

Im on stock cooling, that ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom