Random Powerup/shutdown loops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skeeter35

Beta member
This is my first post. I built this computer over 3 years ago with no problems, other than replacing and upgrading the PSU about a year ago. I woke up 2 days ago and my computer was on (always shut it down) rebooting. Unpluged it and went to work, came home and fooled with it all night. Today and yesterday it would start up on its own and shutdown quickly but at random times...Some times before windows load screen it would shut off instantly. Other times it would load windows compleate and take 5 seconds to 4 minutes before it would actualy display windows is shuting down. What gets me is that it will randomly START on its own. After going through these random loops of shutdown and restart is seems to stablize and run fine. Yesterday and today it seemed to take about 20 to 30 minutes of this before it stays on.

I have serched and read through alot of posts in hopes of pinpointing the problem and done many tests of removing hardware and virues scans. I have not yet reset my BIOS or tested the PSU rails (left my multi-meter at work today...Doh!) Temps seem to be in normal ranges and even disabeling reboot after system failure does nothing (guess its not reading it as a failure). Being a mechanic, I am inclined to think PSU, but don't want to throw the $ at it if I am wrong.

Specs:
Pentium 4 Pescott 3GB
FSB 800
Bus 200
Asus P4P800SE
Version 080009
Tansfer rate 8x
DDR 1024 (2 sticks)
Frequency 200.5
DX 9.0c
Gforce 6800 Ultra 256MB
Nv4_disp.dll
PSU ROSEWILL|RV400S-2 400W RT

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

i would try a known good power supply. if it is faulting out and sending a power good signal to the mother board, it may be what's starting it on it's own.

Powers down before windows is even starting to load...definately seems more Hardware as I have noticed it more of a flicker and rapid power on and off when cold only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom