112C on my Q6600??

Status
Not open for further replies.

csaefong

In Runtime
Okai my computers been shuting itself off everysince i got windows vista ultimate i am running it on the stock heatsink today it got bad computer was on for about 6-10 hours and then it started turning off by itself happend about two times i think it even fryed one of my usb ports on my MOBO because the keyboard wasint responding it had power but didn't respond when i put the mouse usb into the port it was working fine so i don't know about that and when i went to my bios to check tempature the CPU read 110C im not that good with computers but isint this tempature very dangerous i plugged in my 2nd cd rom today but i doubt thats the problem do you guys think its the vista?This never happened when i was running XP PRO OS well i shut the computer off to let it cool should i go get a new heatsink?

112C would be really bad for your CPU if that is a correct temp. I don't think it would run if it got that hot.

I would take the heatsink off clean up the heat sink and CPU. Then reapply thermal paste and reinstall heatsink.

The BIOS being the most accurate for temperature readings, that is definitely dangerous......Dangerous enough to damage the CPU, if you let it run at that temperature, for long periods of time. Get a new heatsink, stat!...as well as thermal paste, if you haven't any.

I believe the TJunction or threshold, according to Core Temp, is 100C.

No i think i figured it out looked like two of the screws werent in tight so the heatsink was loose so i took it off cleaned up the thermal paste then put back in new thermal paste btw i use artic silver 5 paste so it couldint be the paste then i re installed the heatsink making sure it was all tight had to take my time didnt wanna damage my MOBO now the bios read 49c 51c at max i guess that is normal seeing how its a stock heatsink ill probaly get a new 1 still though well i have to run more test before i can be sure if it was the heatsink being loose.

No i think i figured it out looked like two of the screws werent in tight so the heatsink was loose so i took it off cleaned up the thermal paste then put back in new thermal paste btw i use artic silver 5 paste so it couldint be the paste then i re installed the heatsink making sure it was all tight had to take my time didnt wanna damage my MOBO now the bios read 49c 51c at max i guess that is normal seeing how its a stock heatsink ill probaly get a new 1 still though well i have to run more test before i can be sure if it was the heatsink being loose.

sounds like a very common scenario of push-pin CPU's

Doesnt the BIOS Temps CPU on the Quads or even the C2D CPUs arent they the CPU temps not the core temps which would mean its 10C lower than the core temp?

So 112C + 10C is 122C, thats how hot your Core temps are running which is really bad. Considering that the max temp I believe is 62.5 for B3 or 73 for G0 stepping

Those temps are what the cpu will allow before throttling. As he said, it was overheating and actually shutting down to protect itself. Technology is a wonderful thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom