How long should it take to transfer 40gb between 2 harddrives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I'm moving a bunch of files around so I can format and reinstall windows and its taking 30 minutes to transfer from 1 7200rpm ata100 hdd to another 7200rpm ata100 hdd. Is that normal?

Ya that sounds about right. When i moved my rig into the 900 i finally pulled the 2 old 40gb drives and had to transfer all that over to my sata's and i think it took around 20-30m per drive.

How long would it take if I was transferring to the same drives but it was 4 drives paried in raid 0?

Just wondering because I'm gonna be raiding when I reinstall.

i would imagine maybe 25-40% increase in performance in RAID 0 than one drive but that is just a very big rough estimate.

How long would it take if I was transferring to the same drives but it was 4 drives paried in raid 0?

Just wondering because I'm gonna be raiding when I reinstall.

If you're going to be using so many drives I would recommend a RAID5!

That way you can have slightly increased performance as well as drive failure protection. It would really suck if you used RAID0 and one of the drives failed... and you lost 4 drives of data.

My next PC I hope to have a 5 drive RAID5... or maybe 6 drives!

I meant having 2 different pairs of drives in raid 0 (2 drives each). I don't actually have that many same size drives drives now. I have 3 and am going to raid the 2 160gb drives that I have.

I was just wondering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom