Time to sell my OCZ! Question for you kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOtis

Daemon Poster
So as some of you may know, I've had on **** of a time getting a stable overclock.

I can't even get my CPU past 2.66Ghz stable and my memory past 435ish. I know my CPU is more the capable of achieving 3.1 on air.

Sure I can underclock my memory and run it at 667 or something, and get a bit of a higher CPU overclock, but I'm not down for that at all, especially since I have a hard time hitting 3.0ghz that way.

I know my motherboard is more then capable of supporting higher CPU and memory overclocks, and my PSU is just fine and dandy.

So, before all the big games start hitting the PC, I've decided I'm going to sell my memory and finally buy some good overclocking memory.

I've heard people recommend G.Skill, Corsair XMS and Dominator, and of course Crucial Ballistix.

My question is this- Would I get a better overclock if I spend the extra $$ and got the Dominator memory over XMS?

Also, I'd like to stick to DDR2800, considering the price. But would I get that much better of overclocking room with DDR21066? Keep in mind I'm running air and not watercooling, so I'm not looking for some ubber 1337 extreme overclock.

Would this- Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

overclock just as well as - Newegg.com - Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

and lastly, is this stuff really worth the extra $50 over the rest- Newegg.com - CORSAIR XMS2 DOMINATOR 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

Thanks a ton for your input, I'm hopeing B1g can read this and responde, he seems to know his ****.

Dominator isnt worth the extra money. I have the xms2 memory and havent had any problems with it overclocking. What kind of OCZ memory do you have. I almost wonder if you just got a bad batch. I actually run 2gb of corsair and 2gb of ocz. Only because they both had seperate rebates that allowed me to save some money.

don't you have to nearly always underclock the ram to get a good cpu clock?

when you underclock and raise the fsb, your ram speed will rise as well

thats what i thought he did... i guess his RAM aren't increasing it?

they probably are, I guess he didn't realize that he had to underclock it since he said he wouldn't put it at 667... if you put it down, it'll reach up to 800 once you oc the pc 0_0

No, that's if you're overcocking and it's linked.

My point is, the OCZ is un-stable and can't overclock well at all.

They're OCZ Dual Platinum 2 gigs, with timings @ 5-5-5-15 i cant get the RAM that high at all.

Right now I can get my quad @ 2.8 stable, with my RAM @ 400mhz, which is the stock 800mhz effective.

If I can go any higher then 2.8, my rig becomes un stable, and i know it's not my mobo or cpu.

Also, idealy, i'd like to run a 1:1 divider, which is not possible with my memory, which is another big reason why i want to get new memory.

I think I'm ordering the crucial ballisitix. I just read that the newer batches of dominator arent as good as they used to be, unless you pay for the DDR21066, which i am not down for.

well what kind of voltages are you using for your ram. and 5-5-5-15?? wow thats bad timings.... there's some cheap g.skill ram, thats 4-4-4-14 i think.. what i'm using.. though i have not tried overclocking with them yet... and won't have the chance to for a bit due to my crappy mobo..

what all have you tried in overclocking them.. and if you sell them.. lemme know a price :p

Well it's 4-4-4-15 stock, i went 5-5-5-15 when i was trying to OC my ram.

i'm running 2.1 for the ram, which is the highest thats recommended, and that should be high enough.

i don't know, i was thinking like $40 or so.

EDIT: It's not bad memory by any means though, it's fine for lower overclocks. It's just not what I want. PM me if you want it NOS. If i'm going to sell it to someone online I'd rather it be you, someone I've known of on a forum whose been around for awhile.

Well it's 4-4-4-15 stock, i went 5-5-5-15 when i was trying to OC my ram.

i'm running 2.1 for the ram, which is the highest thats recommended, and that should be high enough.

i don't know, i was thinking like $40 or so.

EDIT: It's not bad memory by any means though, it's fine for lower overclocks. It's just not what I want. PM me if you want it NOS. If i'm going to sell it to someone online I'd rather it be you, someone I've known of on a forum whose been around for awhile.

for sure, already sent you a pm! and with the fx, i don't needa raise my htt anyway.. just up the multi :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom