Help with upgrading a pc

Status
Not open for further replies.

almasy

Solid State Member
Hello, my father bought me a pc without allowing me to do any research before hand and now I notice just how bad of a gaming pc it is. It's a dell dimension e310 and I'm not able to upgrade it with a new video card, but at the same time I don't want to spend an arm and a leg for a new pc so I was thinking about salvaging the good stuff like the processor, ram, and hard drive and putting it all into a barebone cpu from some place like newegg.com or something. However I look at all the stuff and try to figure it out but I have no clue what I'm looking at, so I was wondering if anyone would care to assist me in trying to find a barebone or telling me the key things I need to look for when picking one out. The specs for my pc are here: Dell Dimension E310 (Pentium 4 2.8 GHz, 256 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD) Specs. Desktops Specifications.
and I also bought a x16 PCI express. Thank you in advance for the trouble.

ok you can salvage:

the hardrive and the dvd rom lol and of course the monitor.......

The rest is fairly bad. Whats your approx budget?
What gfx card did you buy??? btw pci-express is the connection not the name of a card....

my ram is a single 512 is the reason I was hoping to salvage it. my budget is whatever although cheaper is better of course as long as it runs some decent games pretty well. I purchased a geforce 7300 GS OC 256 MB ddr2. I would like to spend a reasonable amount, maybe somewhere less than $500 if it's possible. Thank you.

ok well your ram has slow timings hence why it isn't worth saving as you won't be able to overclock with it and get the full potential from your cpu. The 7300gs is a fairly poor card but usable for now

kk thanks I guess I'll get new ram then, any suggestions on barebones or about what I should look for when picking one out so I'll know if it's compatible?

e4500 $130
p35-ds3l $100
AF Pro 7 $25
450w Fortron Source PSU $50
2 x 1 gb Patriot Extreme $65
7900gs $135

total comes in around $500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom