XP pro random restarts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wverb0783

In Runtime
So i've been working on a clients computer. they are having random restarts. it doesn't seem to have any particular time or event when it occurs. i have checked event viewer, as well as ran extensive, memory and CPU tests. i have swapped out the PSU for a known good one to no avail. the computer will not shut down if you are running a test off a bootable cd or if in bios, but will shut down if in windows? could this be the hard drive itself? any help would be appreciated. this is running windows XP Pro. pentium 4 system, 256 mb ram, pretty basic system. Thanks.

Not so fast on the re-install. It may be that you will have to. But check your temps before you do that. Run chkdsk and see what you get.

Ok so temps are fine, i'm in the middle of trying to reinstall on a different hard drive and it still shuts down randomly as its installing windows. this is a different hard drive than the original.

YAY!!! i found the problem! i so overlooked this and wont do that again. so upon closer inspection of the motherboard i noticed that about 8 capacitors are bulged on top and beginning to leak. i know what you're thinking how didn't you notice, but the fact is it never really crossed my mind. i looked over it a thousand times today and because they are just starting to bulge i missed it. Thanks to all who helped.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom