Recovering data off Dead Drive (what can i do?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

clever_j

In Runtime
HI guys

My friend needs to retrieve his data off a dead drive (it cant be detected in bios anymore)..

it's still spinning, in fact i can hear it click and clank whenever i power it up (which is a bad thing)..

even when it's off if i shake it i hear a tiny clanking noise.. (something's definitely gotten loose inside)

anyway, any suggestions beside sending it to a clean room?

What about manual platter transfer? i got tons of old drives here i can experiment on.. is it really that hard to transfer a platter? doesnt look hard to me.. but what do i know..

please advise thanks!!

Tea

Basically if you try to open the drive you will destroy them. The tolerance between the platter is so tight that even a spec of dust can ruin the platter. If the drive is clanking even when its off and just being moved around and not being seen by bios, its pretty much a paperweight. About the only way i could see it being recovered would be to send it off to a recovery place and im guessing thats not really economically feasible unless the data is irreplaceable.

You can try finding the EXACT same drive on eBay and then taking the controller board off the bottom and using it on yours. If it can't even be seen by BIOS, I would venture to guess that is the problem.

Don't shake it or you'll just make it worse.

You can also get a software recovery program all set up and have it ready to go with another hard drive already set up and then freeze the bad drive in a double layer plastic bag and then take it out of the freezer and hook it up and start coping files. You may need to do this a few times but it will most times work.

You can try Stellar Phoenix Windows Data Recovery Software to retrieve your data from dead hard drive. Stellar Phoenix is a file and partition recovery utility which provides data recovery from formated hard drive, or data lost occur due to software malfunction, viruses, file/directory deletion or even sabotage.

Since your hard drive is still detected by BIOS so data recovery software would help you in recovery. You just download the demo version from: Partition Recovery Software recovers windows data and provides NTFS & FAT file recovery scan your hard drive and see what you get. Through the demo if you are able to see your data then get the full version to save it.

Hope it does provide 100% recovery

Best of Luck.

That would normally work, but he said it can't be detected in BIOS anymore.

I've heard quite a few other ppl on here suggest what splatoid suggested, and it may work, and it may not. But hey, it's something to try anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom