Help with root build

Status
Not open for further replies.

blucube

In Runtime
Hey techies,

Thanks for looking my thread over! Basically, I am interested of one of two things. I have been for quite sometime now, and I think it's finally time to knuckle down and do something about it and plunge into this downward spiral.

Now, for the last year or so I've been bouncing back and forth between desktop, or laptop? I've done some research along the way and can't quite seem to put a finger on exactly what I'd like. Granted, I love music, games, graphic design and video's. Pretty much get anything out of my PC I can and more along the way kinda guy. Lot's of online play... though, I couldn't figure out what was going to feel more solid, and be the biggest bang for my buck. Feeling solid is important to me though.

Overall, I'm not an avid fan of any hardware company so I am MOST open to any suggestions, though this mock build I put together was more or less to get a feel for what the prices were going to be, a way to gauge my budget without having to throw a confining number out there. So I am requesting your help, this is strictly "my" alpha build:

CPU AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail (as I said earlier, not an avid fan of either AMD or Intel... it is, what it is)

MOBO GIGABYTE GA-M61P-S3 AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100 ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail (this was challenging for me, not sure on AMD mobo's)

RAM G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-2GBNQ - Retail

PRIMARY Western Digital Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM (figure I'll store imporant things on here, OS etc...)

SLAVE Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

OPTICAL 2x SAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

GPU EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (this was challenging for me as well. I'm not sure what games are requiring anymore, especially with some of the new hardware/technology that is out... I just want smooth experiences... but who doesn't?)

Alright, this is all I have for now... I hope I've provided accurate information, as well as ample amounts to be able to get some feedback and suggestions...

Thanks!
blucube

hey blucube
Welcome-to-TF.png

Nice choice of CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

The Raptor isn't necessary, and isn't worth the price either. You can get two Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB, for the price of the Raptor. I would probably suggest, that you drop the Raptor, get one SG Cuda 320GB, and focus the savings on getting a better motherboard, or better RAM. Like an EVGA 590 SLI, or Patriot Extreme Performance RAM.

The 640MB was shown to only boost performance by 1-5%, over the 320MB, for $100 more. So stick with the 320MB, as it's good enough to play games at high-max settings, depending on the size of your monitor.

hey blucube
Welcome-to-TF.png

Nice choice of CPU, motherboard, and RAM.

The Raptor isn't necessary, and isn't worth the price either. You can get two Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB, for the price of the Raptor. I would probably suggest, that you drop the Raptor, get one SG Cuda 320GB, and focus the savings on getting a better motherboard, or better RAM. Like an EVGA 590 SLI, or Patriot Extreme Performance RAM.

The 640MB was shown to only boost performance by 1-5%, over the 320MB, for $100 more. So stick with the 320MB, as it's good enough to play games at high-max settings, depending on the size of your monitor.

Thanks, and a speedy responce at that!

I'm fine with dropping the HD idea... preferable actually. The mother board is a toughie for me, even though you say nice choice... you say later maybe saving for yet a better one. Awesome, though not knowing too much about AMD's mother boards, may I ask for a suggestion(s)?

I'll take your suggestion on the ram, usually I see a lot about GSKILL and OCZ... not much about patriot extreme performace though... but I'm trusting... and naive to real physical experience with this... what a combination huh? And I haven't heard of the EVGA 590 SLI?

Also, instead of the 320GB, how about I save even more and stick with a 250GB? It's been a while since I've had my own Computer so 250GB is more then I've ever had and sounds like more than enough... but could I be wrong? is there something I should be watching out for for me to need the extra 70gigs?

What's your thoughts on the GPU? That's another difficult one for me as well...

Thanks again,
blucube

... the GPU is a not necessary the 8800gts 320mb is more than enough because its proven taht the extra RAM isn't needed... it barelyadd's FPS... but if your willing to spend this much on a GPU an hd2900xt is worth looking at... and the evga 590 is a high end board... it has 6 SATA Ports, Dual Gigabit Internet... x16 SLi Mode (but SLi is pointless anyways)

EDIT: b1gapl said most of what i said...

... the GPU is a not necessary the 8800gts 320mb is more than enough because its proven taht the extra RAM isn't needed... it barelyadd's FPS... but if your willing to spend this much on a GPU an hd2900xt is worth looking at... and the evga 590 is a high end board... it has 6 SATA Ports, Dual Gigabit Internet... x16 SLi Mode (but SLi is pointless anyways)

EDIT: b1gapl said most of what i said...

Ah, I see what you two are saying now... thanks... as far as the GPU goes, the 640mb was just eyeballing so to speak, 320mb's fine with me... if it's fine with everything else

i'm guessing around 6-700$ based on what he has... but your right... an Intel would be great here.. but only worth it if he's overclocking.. because at stock the e4500 and e2180 are only on par with a 5200+ if he is i'd recommend:

e4500 (oc'ing champ out of the 4 series)
gigabyte p35-ds3l
Western Digital 750GB
ATI Radeon hd2900xt or gts 320mb
add your case preference
use that DVD-ROM you have up there...
get the Crucial Ballistix RAM instead... because with the Rebate its the best RAM for sub 100$ out there now.. and its usually 169$ on newegg....
now add a PSU: Corsair 520HX

Thanks for all the info...

As far as my budget is concerned thats always a tough question, also considering the fact I need monitor mouse and keyboard most importantly... then things such as speakers on the side... which honestly all in all... I've been toying around with the help of b1gapl and set up a system that all in all without speakers comes to 1.5k... which isn't bad...

I knew the amd/intel thing was bound to come up sooner or later, it always does from what I've seen... and again I'm not an avid user of either of the two... it just is, what it is... so in terms of what's "better"... and HOW much "better" it is... is what makes the big difference... I'm 100% unexperienced with overclocking, but... I here it's safe, and something good to "get my feet wet"... so why not... though heres the current build over all... considering I've set through up through newegg:

Optic(s): 2xSAMSUNG 20X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-S203B - OEM

Case: Thermaltake SHAR])K VA7000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case - Retail (I really enjoy the athstetics of this case, and I've heard great things about it... the only thing is, the price is up there... I'd like a good full case, it doesn't have to be visually pleasing... but for this build thats what I have for now)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM (I know I said 250gb was plenty, you're right invisible, but... the 320gb was only $10 more... so I said what the heck)

Monitor: Hanns·G HW-191DPB Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail (I don't need a huge monitor, if I remember right 19, or 20 did me just fine back in the day... actually the bigger they were after that, I think the less I began to like them for some reason)

MotherBoard: Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

GPU: EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail (Still debating on this guy...)

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX ATX12V V2.2 550W Power Supply - Retail

RAM: Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PDC22G6400LLK - Retail

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX - Retail

Heatsink: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

OS: Microsoft Windows Vista 64-Bit Home Premium for System Builders Single Pack DVD - OEM

That's roughly what we're looking at for right now...

I knew the amd/intel thing was bound to come up sooner or later, it always does from what I've seen... and again I'm not an avid user of either of the two... it just is, what it is... so in terms of what's "better"... and HOW much "better" it is... is what makes the big difference... I'm 100% unexperienced with overclocking, but... I here it's safe, and something good to "get my feet wet"... so why not... though heres the current build over all... considering I've set through up through newegg:

I don't understand your AMD/Intel comment. If you're saying you'd get either, and someone already recommended Intel, why not go Intel? Intel is the current leader, and from what I've read, will be tomorrow as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom