Help! New cpu and motherboard trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

amd

Solid State Member
Hi, I recently bought a new Gigabyte K8NNXP motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 3200+. I also bought a new case and seem to have everything connected propely. But, there is a problem. When I log into Windows XP, it says that I have to register windows before using it. When I click "ok", It opens a box but there is nothing to read, click on, or anything. It is just empty. I cannot figure out what to do. Has anyone had this problem or can someone help me?

Thanks.

First, this seems like a Windows Product Activation problem, not a cpu and motherboard problem. There's a slight chance it could be a memory problem, but usually those result in blue screens. Anyway, try clicking no when it asks you to activate and see what happens. If you can get into Windows, you can then activate from within Windows.

I have tried clicking no, but it just logs off an goes back into the welcome screen. If I then try to log on again, the process is repeated.

Does anyone else know anything about this? Will I have to reinstall Windows?

the only thing that i can think of is that Windows did not install right. you could reinstall it, it shouldn't take that long. or.....you could contact Microsoft tech. support....ummmm, or not!!!

Although I am new to building computers and such, I was using Windows with my old computer and moved that hard drive into this one. Windows was working just fine in my old computer. Thanks for the replies nonetheless.

amd said:
I was using Windows with my old computer and moved that hard drive into this one. Windows was working just fine in my old computer.
Windows is configured to recognize your old hardware. You now have 2 options:
option # 1 boot up with Windows CD and chose repair
option #2 reinstall windows

Thanks very much, I will try that. My only problem now is to find that CD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom