I'm building a new system between now and January - advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry I misread your OP I didn't realise you already had a psu. what is the make and model of psu as it is by far the most important part of a build it is the one component that can destroy everything that you hook upto it in one foul swoop

right on....

but I think he was thinking of the Radeon 9 series.... you know like what I have??

and Vista isn't bad (its decent now).... wait until Service Pack 1... it'll be good... I remember everybody bashing on XP until SP1... and Vista sp1 is coming out in December i think..

Yes, I was. Sorry about that guys, heh. As you can see I'm a couple years behind on high-end stuff, to say the least.

My biggest problem with Vista is that it takes too much resources, a new OS is coming out in 3-4 years according to M$, and I've heard nothing positive about it compared to XP for gamers, except for DX10 which may come out in SP3 for XP (rumor, of course).

Now, as far as overclocking. Is all that I need 1: more power and 2: more cooling? I've heard of people OCing to 3.0 ghz on each of their cores for the Quad. Your motherboard also has to be made for it, correct?

ultra x connect??? ultra isn't the most reliable brand but they are fairly safe and of course look incredible with that mirror finish :D. Dx10 will never be on xp it is what ms is using to boost vista sales to gamers. overclocking doesn't use more power but you will need a cpu fan. all modern motherboards can overclock and all of us here are overclockers so any build we reccomend will have the potential to overclock well

wait by an Ultra PSU you didn't mean the X-Connect right?? the new gen X3 series are good... Sora has it... and he says its wayy better than the X-Connect which are known to die off...

The Ultra X-Finity I owned....it died on me in 2 months I believe. Still a good PSU if it doesn't die. I believe there is 35amps on the 12v's which really isn't a lot for a Quad-Core system. Thats bare minimum on an overclocked Quad-Core system.

The Ultra X-Finity I owned....it died on me in 2 months I believe. Still a good PSU if it doesn't die. I believe there is 35amps on the 12v's which really isn't a lot for a Quad-Core system. Thats bare minimum on an overclocked Quad-Core system.

My HIPER 580 has 38A. And I haven't heavily overclocked my Q6600, but I plan to, soon. What do you think? Enough, right?

38A is plenty enough honestly for an overclocked Quad Core system and a card such as an X1950XT or 8800GTS.

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator - Antec Edition

Test and see what kind of watts this calculator says your Quad-Core will be at with a certain voltage then check Ste's graphics card watt lists and add them up and divide by 12 to get a rough estimate. Then add 5 or 6 more for drives and other things depending on what you have in there. Optical drives are said to take 1@ off the 12's and I believe fans don't use 12v power but a HDD takes 1 or 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom