Considering buying a system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't think I should make a new thread, so I'll put this in here...

So I got this from the "best $1400 gaming build" thread:
Case - Cooler Master 690 $70
Moobo - Abit IP35 Pro $184
CPU - Q6600 $280
RAM - 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance $102
GFX - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB $290
PSU - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w $130
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB $80
Optical - Sony NEC Optiarc SATA DVD Burner $32
OS - Windows XP Pro $140
Total Price - $1308

I think it was b1gapl that posted it. Is this a really good build? Also, would anyone mind editing it a bit based on a few points of mine? Particularly that I can get by just fine with a 200 or 250GB HD. 200GB is fine, but if the change in cost between 200 and 250 is negligible, I can be persuaded. Also, I don't plan on overclocking or doing any more than the most basic of multitasking. I also still prefer performance over quality but of course want both, and I'm a no-extra-frills kind of guy. Finally, if the cost is just slightly over $1400, that's fine. Can anyone do anything with this? Thanks in advance again, fellows!

Don't think I should make a new thread, so I'll put this in here...

So I got this from the "best $1400 gaming build" thread:
Case - Cooler Master 690 $70
Moobo - Abit IP35 Pro $184
CPU - Q6600 $280
RAM - 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance $102
GFX - EVGA 8800GTS 320MB $290
PSU - PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w $130
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB $80
Optical - Sony NEC Optiarc SATA DVD Burner $32
OS - Windows XP Pro $140
Total Price - $1308

I think it was b1gapl that posted it. Is this a really good build? Also, would anyone mind editing it a bit based on a few points of mine? Particularly that I can get by just fine with a 200 or 250GB HD. 200GB is fine, but if the change in cost between 200 and 250 is negligible, I can be persuaded. Also, I don't plan on overclocking or doing any more than the most basic of multitasking. I also still prefer performance over quality but of course want both, and I'm a no-extra-frills kind of guy. Finally, if the cost is just slightly over $1400, that's fine. Can anyone do anything with this? Thanks in advance again, fellows!

Yes, it was me who posted that build. I think it's a great build for the money. If you want to save a little more money, you can go for the Gigabyte P35-DS3R, which is about $50 cheaper.

You can go for a smaller hard drive, but these days...just a $10 increase, can get you so much more space.

Just about $15 more than the 250GB, gives you 70GB more with the 320GB hard drive.

Oh and.......
Welcome-to-TF.png

Thanks for the welcome! I'm a nerd at heart, so I can see myself getting into building systems. Also, since I'm not a Computer Science major... Well, I think you get it.

Yeah, I think I will go with the larger Hard Drive. Didn't realize the prices were that close these days. Thanks.

Also, do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 8800 to the 640 version? I've been told the price doesn't jump THAT much (and keep in mind, I'll go just a bit over $1400) but that performance is considerably better.

I noticed the Case is a pretty popular one recently, and is very good. I'm wondering, however, if I can get something a little cheaper that works as good cooling wise? Basically, I want something that's just as good (or better) at cooling, but all I really care about is that I can plug all of this stuff into it, and then I really only need inputs for the one DVD/CD drive, a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, headphone/speaker and microphone input, and I only NEED one USB slot. Anything like that that's cheaper and at all worth it?

Also, what's an equivalent DVD/CD drive that's not writable? I don't really need a burner, so if I can save cash (and possibly even get better performance for the same or less cash) I'd like to.

Finally, is all of that stuff available through NewEgg for that price, or at least close? And could this system (or one with the tweaks I just mentioned) be capable of running some of the stuff coming in the Orange Box (Team Fortress 2 and Portal specifically) at max settings or at least close? What settings could I get on Bioshock? Tabula Rasa?

Thanks a lot!

Thanks for the welcome! I'm a nerd at heart, so I can see myself getting into building systems. Also, since I'm not a Computer Science major... Well, I think you get it.

Yeah, I think I will go with the larger Hard Drive. Didn't realize the prices were that close these days. Thanks.

Also, do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the 8800 to the 640 version? I've been told the price doesn't jump THAT much (and keep in mind, I'll go just a bit over $1400) but that performance is considerably better.

I noticed the Case is a pretty popular one recently, and is very good. I'm wondering, however, if I can get something a little cheaper that works as good cooling wise? Basically, I want something that's just as good (or better) at cooling, but all I really care about is that I can plug all of this stuff into it, and then I really only need inputs for the one DVD/CD drive, a monitor, keyboard, and mouse, headphone/speaker and microphone input, and I only NEED one USB slot. Anything like that that's cheaper and at all worth it?

Also, what's an equivalent DVD/CD drive that's not writable? I don't really need a burner, so if I can save cash (and possibly even get better performance for the same or less cash) I'd like to.

Finally, is all of that stuff available through NewEgg for that price, or at least close? And could this system (or one with the tweaks I just mentioned) be capable of running some of the stuff coming in the Orange Box (Team Fortress 2 and Portal specifically) at max settings or at least close? What settings could I get on Bioshock? Tabula Rasa?

Thanks a lot!

The 640mb is not worth the extra $100 over the 320mb, because it only offers like a 1-5% performance boost. $100 for 1-5%? Not worth it.

Here is a case suggestion, that is cheaper:
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

...and a cheaper optical drive:
Newegg.com - ASUS Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM - OEM

As for the prices, I got them from newegg too.

This system should be able to play all games at high-max settings. This would also depend on the resolution, you plan on playing your games at.

This would also depend on the resolution, you plan on playing your games at.

Probably 10x7, my monitor's native, but maybe higher if the game allows it. I realize a system for only $1400 isn't going to, say, play Crysis at max or anything, but for Source engine games (which appear to cap at 10x7 anyway)...

So upgrading the card really wouldn't make that much of a difference? Okay. Well, thanks again! I'll look into this stuff and let you know when/what I decide on.

10 x 7 as in 1024 x 768? How big is the screen? Widescreen? If so, then that system will rip any game apart, on max settings.

Okay, so I came up with this:

Case: COOLER MASTER Centurion 534 RC-534-KKN2-GP Black Aluminum & Mesh bezel / SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz 2 x 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory (x2 for 4GB)
Harddrive: Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card
Power Supply: OCZ GameXStream OCZ700GXSSLI ATX12V 700W Power Supply 100 - 240 V
CD/DVD drive: ASUS Black 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model DVD-E616A3T OEM
Price: $1,319.11

That's including shipping, but apparently with mail-in rebates I can save up to $110 on that. Did I pick anything particularly horrible, and is there any small tweaks I could make to get more performance for just a tad more cash? I'm willing to go a tad bit over $1400 if it'll make a difference.

And yes, I meant 1024x768 by 10x7, but I'm an idiot and what I really meant to say was 1280x1024.

Also, would this be difficult to put together for a newb? Are any of the parts here particularly difficult? Other than the obvious mouse, keyboard, monitor, and speakers, is there anything I'll need that won't actually come with this stuff? Thanks again!

Why did you still pick the 640mb? The extra memory does not help. Plus, you have a really small resolution for playing games, and the 320mb is way more then enough for that. Save the $100.

The power supply is also way too much power for that system. The PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610w, that I suggested earlier, is a much better power supply. Or the Corsair 620HX.

As I said before, if you want to save more money, you can drop the motherboard to a Gigabyte P35-DS3R. And it will perform just as well.

And is that XMS2 with the CAS5 or CAS4 timings? But I'd still suggest either the Crucial Ballistix or Patriot Extremes, over those XMS2s.

If you wait maybe a week or so (not sure when it'll actually come out), you can get the 2900PRO for $250 which is just a downclocked 2900XT. Performs about on par with the 8800GTS but a little cheaper and 512MB of vram (yes I do believe the vram will help in games like Crysis even at lower res). Apparently, it can also be overclocked pretty easily to 2900XT speeds although the 8800s overclock pretty well also. Only bad thing is the higher power consumption/fan noise then the 8800 but not too bad especially if not overclocking.

I would recommend the 620 Corsair (ocz isn't bad but Corsair is more stable+modular) and like people have said I would get the DS3-R (or even DS3-L which only lacks RAID, a few SATA connectors, a couple gimmicks and $30 on the price tag.)

I'd also probably get a better case like the 690 you chose before or maybe a cheaper Lian-Li (PC-7B).

And for heavens sake, don't BUY XP.. shame on you people for telling him to get it.. thats a waste of a hundred bucks right there.. if you have a copy, by all means use it but buying it is stupid since you'll want to use DX10 with that kind of system and real DX10 is here already

btw corsair 620 is cheaper on zipzoomfly
Corsair HX Series CMPSU-620HX 620W Power Supply at ZipZoomfly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom