Hidden Dual Boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthraX

Daemon Poster
I'm curious if it's possible to dual boot OS's, but have one OS hidden on boot up, unless you press a certain key combo or something.

What do you mean by hidden, as in, after you boot your computer one operating system starts up while the second can only be accessed by a specific sequence?
I don't know if this is what you mean but:
I run windows vista and fedora core 7 on an hp laptop, i don't know the specifics of my boot configuration, but, when linux is beginning it's boot process, I can hit say, "Enter" or "Delete" and it brings me to an OS selector screen. From there I can chose from two versions of fedora and or/ windows(marked as 'other') like I said, I haven't exactly gotten the full hang of using fedora core, but it's still pretty the dominant system. So yes, you can boot two operating systems at the same time, in windows when the bios boot finishes it will give you the option to boot similar:
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows NT
etc.

partition magic or xp's computer management.

XPPMBOOT.jpg

he wants my setup. I have 3 os on 2 different computers.

I have vista, mce and 64 bit on this one. vista is on another hdd so it doesn't show up. I boot to it from the bios.

he wants it so you can't see your other OS when you are in one. this has a lot of advantages.

you can't mess with those OS files as you can't see them and each os drive is a c drive so program will aways install to the right place.

I don't use any bootloader

you must use a bootloader to select the OS you want to start with as you can't run more then OS principally at one time. Can't you just remember not to go into that file and mess up the OS or is that two simple............ On my desktop I run xp mce, mac, ubuntu and fedora and have never had issues with deleting system files

partition magic or xp's computer management.

XPPMBOOT.jpg

Look at my Picture. I choose to boot from within windows. that is what he is asking for. if I want to boot from vista, I change my hdd boot order or hit f12 and select the vista partitions.

I hate bootloaders. My other computer. no bootloaders

XPPMBOOT1.jpg

That is a boot loader though it loads the boot.ini file of the selected OS therefore its a bootloader which you say you hate. Not all bootl oaders have to originate from initial startup like grub

it is a boot selector (which you can choose within your OS). it is not a boot loader (which loads before your OS, hence the name). that is the difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom