System lock / crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rivet Head

Solid State Member
Hello, for the past day my system has been locking up and crashing. Unlike a normal lock up, there is no "hour glass" or CPU usage spike. I hear a click sound from the tower (similar to the sound when a CD ROM closes) than everything freezes completely. Cannot move mouse, ctrl-alt-del, nothing. When this happens, the HDD light on my tower stays on, but I don't hear the HDD spinning. This has happened with various applications open, so I can't pin it on any application failing. The only way to recover from this is to do a hard shut down and restart. I have tried running my system in both Knoppix and XP (dual boot) and the problem occurs in both, so I am inclined to think that it is a hardware problem, but I cannot figure out what hardware is causing the problem.

I am running:
Athlon XP 2500 clocked at 1.833
Assus k7n8x Delux m/b
512 MB generic RAM
Maxtor 80 GB Master IDE HDD (IDE 0)
Maxtor 120 GB Slave IDE HDD (IDE 1)
LG 4081 DVD burner (IDE 2)
LG CD Burner (IDE 3)
350 watt generic power supply

I usually work in XP but occasionally boot into Knoppix. The problem has happend in both at varying times of operation. (eg, 5 minutes, 15 minutes, 30 minutes after boot)

CPU temp is good, 39c, case temp is good, 30c, and the SMART info for both HDD's shows 100% fitness / performance

I am inclined to think it is a power supply problem but I want to make sure before buying a new power supply.

Any help is mucho apreciated!

Thanks for the quick reply!

I haven't defraged in a while, the last I scanned for viruses was today (using Panadasofts free scanner) and I checked for spyware on Sunday July 4. (I have Adaware Professional with latest updates). Also, I used Firefox 0.9 as my default browser and only use IE for virus scanning.

Thanks for the link. My PSU should be able to handle the load, but it is one of those "free with your case" type power supplies and I have always suspected it wasn't providing steady power or wasn't doing a decent job. Guess it's about time to invest in a decent PSU.

Thanks.

you can pick up a Power Supply test tool from compusa or circuit city.
Id test your hard drive and make sure your cables are seated .

Goto Maxtor's website and download their free HD utility that will do a better test then the ones at CompUSA or CircuitCity and it is free. The utility is called powermax.

I might also suggest buying a better power supply. Generics wind up having load issues.

Thanks for the feedback. I am skeptical about the HDD's being the issue. I have tested them with Powermax and Speedfan's SMART info tool and the HDD are OK. I am pretty sure it's a load issue with the PSU. Last night I was playing around with it and I found if I disconnected one perticular lead from the PSU the problem goes away.

Oh yeah - got 'er nailed now. Just a bad molonex (I think that's what they're called, tell me if I am wrong) connection. Seemes one of the power leads into the connector is loose causing an intermittant flow of power to which ever device it is connected to, in turn causing lock ups and slow POST'ing.

Now it's fixed and without having to blow $100 on a new PSU :)

Thanks to all who replied!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom