Considering buying a system...

Status
Not open for further replies.

UltimateCarl

Solid State Member
So, I threw together my last system from various deals I found... That was about four years ago, though, and it wasn't even close to top of the line back then. It's a trooper, but it's also a bit old now, and I'm still a gamer. For reference, here's my old system (Courtesy of Xfire):

Manufacturer: EMACHINES
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3400+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.4GHz
Memory: 1022MB RAM
Hard Drive: 195 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Monitor: SyncMaster 931B/931BF/931BA/930BA(Analog)
Sound Card: Realtek AC97 Audio
Speakers/Headphones: Altec Lansing/Cyber Acoustic
Keyboard: USB Root Hub
Mouse: USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface: Desktop
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)

Well, I decided I didn't want to build this time. I did some research around, and I heard good things about StealthMachines. So far, their customer support has been excellent, and I like it so far. However, I'm not really as much of a hardware guy as I'd like to me (software is more my thing). So, I emailed back and forth with them, told them my price limit was $1400, and they set up this for me. I did some research, and it seems like this is a good build for my price, but I wanted to confirm it with others who know more than I do. So, is this worth it?

Motherboard - Foxconn C51XEM2AA- 8EKRS2H Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU - AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Dual-Core
Memory - CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Optical Drive - 20x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive w/ LightScribe Technology (Label your CD's)
Hard Drive - 250GB SATA 7,200RPM w/ 16MB Cache
Graphics Cards - XFX GEFORCE 8800 GTS XXX 320MB
Operating System - Windows XP Home w/ Service Pack 2
Sound Card - Internal Sound Card (Built Into Motherboard)
Power Supply - 500W Thermaltake Power Supply
Warranty - 1-Year Parts and Labor (click info for our return and warranty policy)
System Price: $1372

With shipping, that's just barely over $1400, which works for me. So, what do you guys think? Thanks in advance!

no, you could do a lot better building it yourself.

Intel is currently the processor of choice.

don't quad-post please :0

but your suggestions are definitely valid... great build...

get the 520hx instead of the 620
and the 2900xt i believe usually outperforms the 8800gts in all the new games
but its about $70+ more

Well, I didn't really want to build my own because I'm pretty clueless when it comes to hardware. But I've heard it really isn't THAT hard, I do know a little bit about it, and I'm not a total idiot or anything, so maybe I can do it.

I just know the biggest problem is that if you buy everything and slap it all together yourself and it doesn't work, then you're screwed. That and I'm at college, not home right now, so I really don't have any storage or workspace to store all of these parts while I wait for them to all come in, and then shove 'em all together.

But, saying that I know absolutely nothing about building or gaming computer parts, let's call my limit still $1400. I want a plain case. The plainer, the better. I like minimalist style, but it's also cheaper without affecting performance at all, and I don't want to show off. Besides, I'm looking at my monitor, not my tower. I prefer performance over quality, but don't feel you should have to sacrifice one for the other. I want something stable, but powerful. I'd like to be able to run Bioshock, Team Fortress 2, and Tabula Rasa on max settings, or at least close.

I'll look into UA_Iron's suggestion. If anyone else has some ideas, feel free to share. Try to give a bit more info than just the straight build, however. I'm not really familiar with these parts, so it'd be helpful to explain it, how it stacks up against other things, and why I'd want it.

Thanks again!

there are many online tutorials that walk you through every step
you don't want a small case, bad airflow
bioshock on max settings will probably require
UA_irons build + maroons gfx card suggesttion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom