can my 500 watt thermaltake psu support a 8800gts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running a GTS and Q6600 on a 500watt psu with 28A on the 12v rail. so yes, it will be fine. Although if i get a bigger card im going to have to upgrade my psu.

I still would not try it but I mean...look at it this way.

An overclocked Quad-Core to around 3.6ghz will take AT LEAST 200w's and then an overclocked 8800GTS depending can take 120+

300w/12=26.6amps needed on the 12's.

Thats just a rough estimate and actually quad-s take more than that. Not to mention that DVD drives and other things take amps.

You can try it but I wouldn't risk it. This is why I suggest at least 35 to be safe but you could get away with lower.

Also
I'm running an 550W supporting my rig and it's just fine. You're fine.

You do realize that the Enermax Liberty are high quality PSU's and the 550w model I believe has 34 amps...you have 8 more amps than his Thermaltake which is what is needed. Please don't tell him he is fine when he is clearly not.

I'm running a GTS and Q6600 on a 500watt psu with 28A on the 12v rail. so yes, it will be fine. Although if i get a bigger card im going to have to upgrade my psu.

Your Q6600 @ 1.35vcore (dunno how but very nice) is saving your *** with that PSU. 28A would normally as stated be impossible to run with a Q6600 running at 3.6ghz which the usual 1.5Vcore however its saving you 3 or 4 amps which keeps it at the bare minimum for you as well.

Check my specs above with my current PSU can i support a 8800gts w/o any problems?

Well I'm not that much of an expert for PSU but one thing I know is that if you are going to buy one, buy one that use "power continuity" or active something like that.

Anyway just for the record my current PC is running with a PSU of 450w that is around 2 years old and I have more stuff(hardware) in my PC that is post in my sig (too little my sig to post everything.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom