codecs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainFox

Solid State Member
what's up everyone, I'm pretty much new to the whole computer scene and trying to learn as fast as I can.
I've been hearing the guys at work talking about using codecs for encryption and stuff like that. what is, and how does codecs work??

Codecs are used for videos. Liek the .avi files used for ripping DVD's and other such things. There are several thousand codecs. It all depends on what you are trying to do what codec to use.

If you are using XP the best codec pack is the klite or the cccp pack.

what exactly do u mean when u say video. For example, if you have a movie on your drive, and it's not compatible with windows media player, would u be able to use a form of codecs to play that movie in windows media player?

If you are using XP the best codec pack is the klite or the cccp pack
I'm using VISTA, what codec packs would you recomend?

Okay let me get even more basic. Yes if you have a movie on your hdd and WMP does not view it, most likely cause would be that you do not have the proper codec. So finding what codec you are missing would allow you to view the movie without any issues.

For Vista i would recommend the Vista Codec Pack and the CCCP Pack. Combined there isnt to many codecs left out there that these 2 do not cover.

Vista Codec Package v4.5.0 FINAL - XP 2k3 Vista - MSFN Forums

Combined Community Codec Pack

cool, I understand what you are saying, thanks for the help.

I got another question about RAM and it's connection with Cache L1 but not sure if I should start a new thread or continue here. what ya think?

Either way. IT doesnt make much difference. But the mods might have something to say about it. For me it dont phase me either way.

Cool, well I'm trying to clarify the connection RAM shares with Cache. Cache, from what I understand, is a smaller form of memory in which it saves time cause data that you pull up on a regular bases is stored there. Does cache pull info from your hard drive or RAM? And whats the difference in whats is stored on your hard drive vs RAM?

RAM is Random Access Memory. It is only access for a short period of time. Stuff is put there, accessed and then removed all that fast. If your computer crashes anything stored in RAM is lost. No chance of recovery.

Cache is like RAM. Anything stored in Cache is there for only a short period of time and then gone jsut as fast. Cache on a processor pulls from the processor. Things are not so much stored there for a long period of time but more like a mater of a few seconds. Like the pucs on a web site. They are stored in cache while the page loads but when it does they are moved to the RAM. As soon as you get away from the Page the pics are gone. Yeah they are stored in your temp files for your browser so that it can access them again without having to use as much power next time.

Cache pulls from RAM i believe. Since it is already loaded there and the moved onto the CPU (Processor) Things go from teh HDD to RAM to Cache to CPU and then back. This all happens in the matter of seconds.

A hard drive storage is more permant. Which means things can be stored there for a large period of time till you decide to get rid of it. That is in the best case. If you get corruption or a failure then of course the data is lost. But that is worst case.

Regarding the codecs, usually codecs are used to codify a large media file into one smaller media file.

For instance, you use a codec to convert a 9.6GB DVD into a 700MB avi file. In order to view the file in WMP you have to install de proper decoder, if not WMP won't know how to decode the avi file.

It's the same thing with mp3, you use the mp3 codec to convert WAV files, much larger files 40MB at least, to mp3 files, moreless 6MB.

Regarding the memory question there are three levels of memory:
cache - a very fast , and consequently more expensive, type of memory. It's directly connected to the CPU. It stores the most used instructions in a given period.
RAM - it slower than cache type memory but it's quicker than hdd access, it remains between cache and hdd paging files.
hdd paging files - are stored in your hdd, it contains the less used instructions in a given period.

For instance consider a program that reads several numbers from a file, multiplies all numbers two and then stores the new numbers in the file again, in the period when the numbers are being read from the file, the instruction of reading a number from the file and the instruction of storing it in a variable will be stored in cache, which makes sense because these instructions will be ran as much as the numbers stored in the file so the cpu shall have access to these instructions as quick as possible. The instructions of multiplying by two and the instruction to store a new number in the file will be stored in RAM since in this period of running the program these instructions won't be used.

If you have the patience read this article in wikipedia.

Hi....I'm new here and am trying to upgrade my knowledge of computers.I have an old Compac desktop and a brand new HP.I am having possible codec problems with the old unit.Whenever I try to play video clips or you tube or even music,it breaks up and freezes.What codec pack would best help?I am running XP on the older machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom